Alton Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dhogue, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello to all BOC, I'm heading up to Alton Friday to try and catch some bait, is the skipjack running, I'm going to fish from the bank, I was on the Missouri early this week, no shad no where.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Myself and Cuz were in the area last Sunday, and they are pretty scattered. Probably caught maybe a couple dozen or so in 2-21/2 hrs. We were actually fishing at the Chain of Rocks though. I'm thinking about heading up in that direction in the morning to get some skippies myself, even if I have to buy them. All we have for bait down here is shad, and that hasn't been real productive. All the fish we caught last weekend were caught off of skippies and mooneyes. The shad never got touched!

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Guys, I posted this in another thread but here it is again.

I was getting a few skips today along the revetment bank past the first slough on the right side below Melvin Price. Drifting in about 30 ft of water. Mostly shad but some scattered skippys.

Asian carp fillets are working for me right now also (the fillets, NOT chunks)

Got it. Hint, hint..:wink:

4. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skips were scattered last night, couldn't pin down a big bunch like a week ago...:sad2:

Oh yea, hey Darryl...how does a fellow go about catching those carp? besides running the slack water and waiting for one to jump in? LOL!

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You get them in your cast net.

I couldn't find too many of them yesterday but Wednesday they were thick in the first slough downstream of Mel Price. I had more carp than I knew what to do with so I used them for bait. Thats what the cats wanted Wednesday! Fillets only, the whole thing (I cut out the rib cage but you could keep it if you wanted too).

If you get a gigantic Carp I guess you wouldn't use the whole fillet. LOL

Just make sure you have a HEALTHY, HUGE hunk of bloody meat on your hook. Don't know if it matters but I hook it at one end and just let it flap in the current.

6. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cool! Thanks Darryl. Ya, we had a monster nearly jump in the boat last night...3dukmn was dodging back and forth like he didn't know whther to run, catch it, push it away...:smile2:

7. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WELL!!! - xOZx had my escape route blocked. That danged fish was at LEAST 12 feet out of the water. Big sucker too. When he hit the water, I got sprayed by the splash.

I HATE THEM DANGED THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: