Alton dam-missouri side

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Motopro00, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I was wondering if anyone has been there in the last couple days? I was there about a week and a half ago and you could walk down there but not drive. I want to fish off the bank.

2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    well plans change. I will just fish where I know I will be ok. You guy's are killing me with deer season. I need my cat fishing info. At least I can choose any spot to fish with no one bugging me....:roll_eyes:

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Im here with ya Mike... Ol Jer and I went out Saturday and got Skunked big time.. Im waiting to get a good report before i head out again... But im def. not ready to throw in the towel

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    All this rain will bring a quick rise... hopefully the bite will pick back up for us bank guys....

5. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I fished 3 days in a row. 1st day nothing. I fish a spot I didn't have any faith in. The 2nd day I caught a 7ish lbs blue. I went to a area I know had a better chance. I caught that blue on cut blue gill head. Smaller gill. Then on the 3rd day I went out with mike (wabah58). We went to the same spot. He had a fresh red horse sucker. A small piece of the gut pocket got him hooked into at least a 25 pound fish. It got wrapped up in some small trees about 8 feet off the bank. His line broke and we watched it swim away. Oh well at least I know there are fish there. I was going to make a trip up tomorrow but decided with the rain to head back to that spot. I am hoping with the rain and the river rising the bite will pick up. I got bait and a rain suit so I am going. :big_smile:

6. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go down there and get that hook back for me if ya catch him. He's the fish with the big smile and the #7 sicle hook in his mouth. :angry::angry::angry:

7. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am going to try real hard. I am want to break my PB. And that's 21 on a scale. I had a bigger one on the bank but he got away from me before i got my hands on him.:embarassed: I will try to clean up after you mike. I'll get your cickel hook from that fish and get your rig out of the tree.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Go get em Mike.... If this work thing Wasnt getting in the way I'll be going with ya in a heartbeat...

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

You mean U ain't got a boat again!!

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    LOL.... John I think im gonna give up on the boat thing for awhile.. Heck the more i think about it i catch more and bigger fish from the bank... Til tax time im looking for new bank spots and plan on hitting em hard .... Tight lines guys and hook em where it hurts

11. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I just got in. Caught 2 blues. One was 3/4 lbs, and the other was 4ish lbs. The water did rise fast all day. The barges were non stop and it was swamping the shore and lots of stuff in the water. Got lots of action/bites early. Had one real big pole bender but when I picked it up nothing there.:angry:
    I used shad,blue gills, crappie, and night crawlers.

12. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri

Hope you didn't get mt Hook, Line, sinker, and BAIT. Out of the tree. With the flood, that baby just turned into a limb line.:big_smile:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how are them blues biting there, if good ill be there soon,

14. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The areas we fish down here are pretty much flooded, "motopro00" has been catching some decent numbers of fish, but about the time he was getting ready to fish the area hard the new rounds of floods came in and made the area non fishable from the bank. We did manage to hook into one nice size cat but he broke off in some small limbs sticking out before we had a chance to put our hands on him. I think the blues are biting, but water conditions are making it hard for bank fishing guys.

We been looking for some info on fishing on the Missouri side by the Alton dam area. The thread didn't produce any good info on that topic though. Any advice Slik?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, i always went to the ill side due to snags, i never tried it in the winter, i do know that high water should push the bait closer to the bank,and skipjack gets alot of bites, but ill bet there laying under them gates if you can cast out there with some good weghts,we are going to give it a try on a nice day,would been there in october but had alot going on

16. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You catching any Skippies up there?

I hate snags..:angry:

17. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Hey mike your right about that rig in the tree. It's limb line now. lol The last time I went out with dennis went took his boat to the dam and the water level was around this level. I need to keep a log but I think it was lower then? They had it closed off so you couldn't drive up to the dam. We didn't catch anything when we were there. We were trying for skips. I did have one pole out for cats and it did get snagged. I would go up tomorrow if I had info?

18. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    also looks like alton down to st.louis the river is cresting tomorrow. :big_smile: then go down for two weeks just to have a 3 day rain put it right back up.:angry:

19. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Mike if you go out tomorrow give me a ring..

20. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I drove to the dam today. It's high but I made it right down to the dam. There is all kinds of spots around west alton.:wink: