Alton Dam in Illinois?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Gringoloco, May 15, 2006.

1. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I was wondering if anybody fishes down there often? Im planning on heading out there this Saturday, instead of my normal trip to Carlyle. Ive fished the Mississippi many times, but never this location. Anyone have any good spots along the dam area, that they recommend? I went out to Alton this past Saturday around 6pm to check it out, and make sure I knew where it was. I noticed the entrance gate is only open from 9am-5pm, this is the right spot to enter the dam area right?

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    no thats another park in missouri.. go across the bridge turn left at fisca station and go all the way to the end of road, turn left and you'll run into the dam... it's open 24 hrs a day..:embarassed:

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Another park in Missiouri? The entry gate im talking about is in Illinois, its right before you get into Alton. Basically where im at I took I-64 W towards St. Louis merged onto I-255N to Wood River. Drive through the town of Wood river, pass a big Power plant and the river is off to my left when im by the power plant. Then there is a brown sign that states Melvin Price lock and dam with a left arrow. So you drive about 30 seconds further down the road and you see the entrace for the dam. It has a gate system on the front which I thought was kind of wierd since people tell me they fish this all the time. I think im in a differant part than you are thinking. The lock and dam location I found is bordered by Illinois on both sides. I remember crossing one bridge that is by the power plant is this the one you are talking about? So do I just need to go down further towards Alton? And the "fisca" station is that a gas station? Sorry for all the questions, im just completly confused on where to go. So any details directions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    you need to drive about 2 miles past that gate your talking about and take the bride over to the missouri side as soon as you get to the missouri side there will be a road to the left which takes you over the other lane of traffic at the top of the hill there will be a fisca station, keep driving past the gas station about 3,4 miles and you will come to the other side of the dam, this is where you want to be, tim

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I think I know where you are talking about, but still not quite sure. Im not too famliar with the Alton area. Is there a exit number I need to take or what interstate am I taking to go over the bridge. Im just trying to make sure I know where im going.

6. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    If you want to get to the best spot take the 367 (clark) bridge from alton towards west alton crossing over the river. Then take the first available left. You will then go up a big hill, and at the stop sign stay straight crossing the east bound lanes going towards alton. go straight passing the fisca station, then the army corps building, and if you have to hit the restroom it is dirty and it is on the left but stay on this road. on the left you will see the dam and you will feel like you have traveled miles the blacktop will turn to gravel and turn hard left. Soon you will smell the fragrant rotting carcasses of the coveted asian carp and then you have arrived.

Catman I found this in another post, is this the place you are giving me directions to?

7. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah those are good directions. You will be directly on the other side of the river if you use these directions.

8. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

9. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I BE THERE TILL DARK FISH ON THE 17TH. I GIVE YOU ALL A REPORT.:big_smile:

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Sounds good, let us know how it went today! Good luck!

11. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Team Catter, how was the fishing over there yesterday?

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    POOR FISHING ON BANK .I DIDN'T CATCH ONE CAT OR SKIPPS.NO ONE AROUND ME WAS CATCHING FISH. PEOPLE IN BOAT WAS CATCHING BLUES.:crazy:

13. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    What type of baits and line setup were you using?

14. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Bait Was Cut Shad And Skipps.rig Set Up I Use 3.a 3-way Rig With A 10oz.2nd Rig Slipfloat With 3oz. At 15 Ft. In Current(the Washing Machine)behind The Dam.third Is 8oz No Roll Sinker With 12in. Leader.

15. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I went to the Missiouri side on Saturday, what a waste of time. That current was so heavy it was taking my 10 oz weight right down the river (bank fishing) with no problems. So after 2 snags in a row right after I threw the line out, me and my friend packed up and tried differant spots along the river. Tried the sand bar right next to the bathroom on the way in, slow bites, small cats, and some drum. Next we tried under the bridge for a couple hours and didnt get a single hit. So then we headed to the old lock and dam area, bunch of small cats again and drum. Ended up in the original spot I found on the Illinois side (this is the gated place I was talking about) and fished that for awhile. Caught alot of nice blues and channels and the water was nice and calm like a lake on this side. If the water stays like this on the Missiouri side then I am not going back to that spot. It was just ridiculous on how strong the current was, and how many snags everyone was getting. I sure hope they hold the water up on the other side sometimes and not let it flow through like that. I talked to a bunch of locals on the Missiouri side and they say that the Missiouri side is best for boat fishing, and the Illinois side is the best spot for bank fishing. Plus the Illinois side has alot less rock and less chances of getting snagged up every cast. Also the cats were not touching cut bait at all from the bank, nightcrawlers were the bait of choice for them all day. So it looks like I will stick to the Illinois side unless im going out in a boat. I got to see a nice blue though that one guy caught out in his boat, he said it was a 38 pounder. I was sad to see that he was keeping it and not releasing it back though.

16. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Where are you fishing again Gringoloco. Iwent to mo. side and snag alot. So were are you going on the Illinios side.

17. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I come through Wood River to get to Alton so the Clark Bridge exit will be on your left. If you take the same route as I do you will pass the location I am talking about. Right when you pass the big power plant on the right you will come around a corner like you are heading to Alton. It will be your first stop light, and when you look to the left you will see the sign for the Melvin Price Lock and Dam. Turn left into this spot, you will see a gate with the posted hours of 9am-5pm so you cant miss it. The gate opens at 9am and if you leave after 5pm you cant get back in. But the exit gate is motion sensored and isnt lock when you exit after 5pm. Me and my friend stayed there until 8pm and pulled right up to the exit and it opened right up. After you park, grab your gear, you will see a grass slope right infront of you. Walk straight down, you will see a big wall and this is the other side of the Dam. Cast out as far to the wall as you can, and just sit back and wait. We were getting hits constantly in the 4 hours we fished there. The water is nice and calm, looks just like a lake. The water was low when I was there so you could walk right down onto the sand/mud bottom and fish from there. Normally the water is up and you will fish from the rocks. Even with the water up you wont have to worry about snagging, the Illinois side was built with alot less rock.

18. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I'M GOING TOMORROW OVER THERE .I WAS 'M SICK OF LOOSING WEIGHTS ON THE MO.SIDEAND NOT CATCHING A THING.:big_smile:

19. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Yeah after getting those snags right after throwing out. Me and my friend Danny talked to the locals there and they said you cant really fish the Mo side when the water is up like that, plus the swift current. One guy told me in the summer they will start to hold the water back on the left side of the dam, and it calms the fishing spot down alot. But he said you will still get alot of snags because the bottom area from where you fish and out around 50-75ft is nothing but rock. So even if you cast out to the middle the current is so strong that it takes you right back into the rock, and snags you up every time. So I think im just going to fish the Mo side from a boat and hook some of the big ones and bring them in. But bank fishing I will stick to the Illinois side, have a better day fishing and actually enjoy the time I spend there. One guy bank fishing landed a nice flat head on the Mo side, weighed 52lbs. When I talked to him he was all wore out and ready to go home. It took him 2 hours to bring the big one in, he said 1 1/2 hours into it he was ready to cut his line because he couldnt move his arms anymore. So I guess you can get lucky every once in awhile over there. But all the snags arent worth it for me. Good luck tomorrow, hope you bring some nice ones in!

20. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. I'M GOING IN THE MORNING.I'LL HAVE A FISHING REPORT.:big_smile: