Alton dam fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bluecatnut, Feb 14, 2007.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i am heading down to the alton dam sunday and was wondering if anyone would like to join me pm me if intrested thanks in advance

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dusty,
    What about Ice on the river?? Can you put a boat in ? Are you fishing from the bank ? Thats a great flat head what did you catch it on ?
    Paul Lawrence
    Olddriller ( retired)

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Man, that sounds like fun i've heard that's a good place to fish, but I can't do it. :sad2:

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    if fish from the bank i bet by sunday the ramp will be open

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    paul thats a nice piece of live bait u got their all u needed to do was put 16 oz of weight on ur line and a 10/0 king kahle hook in its tail then i but u could catch a monster flathead with that their :waaaht: :haha:

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i know their are die hards catters out here in illinois besides me

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If I didnt have to fly, I'd be there with you. Well, at least if the ice chunks were gone. Not worth a 500 dollar prop. I just looked at the 4 day forcast. We are looking at 50 degree day time highs. Sounds like its time to drown a shad or two. :cool2:

8. bgmg

bgmg New Member

State:
    illinios
    Fished the Miss around the Quad Cities most my life, like to try further south. Worth getting a guide to fish 1st time near the confluence, Alton dam area?

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey BGMG No need too get a guide if you are used to fishing the river from a boat. Just fiish the normal places you do on the river. Out side river bends, wing dams and along the line of water as the two big rivers merge. It is pretty straight forward. Also you could hook up with a brother or two down this way and learn it from them.
    Hope this helps.

10. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have never been on the river before but I have a boat and wanna get some big cats. I am game. I live in willowbrook now.

11. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I fish that area, although I actuall fish more where the rivers join. If any out of the area guys are girls are ever down this way send me a message and we will hook up.

Its almost fishing time:big_smile:

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    OK.. It's supposed to be 60 friday.. I put in for the day off and the boss said he'd let me know thursday if I could get off.. It's fishin time..

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good luck, Harold. Let us know how you do.

14. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Hey there, lebanon sure isnt very far from centralia. Maybe some day we can meet up at Carlyle or on the Kaskaskia somewwhere.

dru

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You bet! I am still fishing Baldwin, but once it warms up I will be hitting the Carlyle Spillway. I am also looking for some land along the Kaskaskia. If you hear of anything, let me know. All BOC's brothers will be welcome to use it.

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    hey u bet. Went to the spillway last saturday morning. water was up about ten feet from the previous weekend. Fished for 3 hours. Didn't get a bite but it was snowing silver dollar sized flakes. Very serene. The weekend before last i caught 6 channels the smallest being 3 and the largest at 10. lost a real good one that hu ng me on the bottom. project the water will be swelled this weekend but ill go anyway. my fish came on cut shad and nightcrawlers with the bigger two and the "good one " on the cut bait. Started the morning right a 7. most bites came between 730 and 9.. 2oz of weight was just right to begin with then they figeted with the gates and by noon 2oz was too much. of course that when the one fish hung me up. Caught my shad with a cast net. all of the shad are 4 inches and bigger seems like. hope this wets your appetite a little. When you get a chance give me a briefing on Baldwin. Thanks a bunch

dru

17. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Hi harold, are you going out on the boat friday? If so, I would like to go with you . I have not been out yet this year.

18. Arteest

Arteest New Member

State:
    Illinois by way of Virginia
    good to hear about the shad. i've been down there several times and had a hard time gettin em. tryign to do a little scientific shad research this year..about how big were those shad you were cast nettin?

19. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    well Dolan, it seems the shad that i net closer to the spillway gates are in the 4 to 10 inch range. 200 yards downriver beside the cable across the river to keep the boats out, they tend to be 1 to 2 inches. I prefer the larger of the two, more blood, more slime, more guts.:cool2:

dru

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welllll... Fishing is postponned for tommorrow... I had to go to Kentucky for the past two days, just go back at 7 pm.. The boss says if I get things caught up here that I can take the afternoon off tommorrow.. Thats not enough time to get boat ready, drive to where I put in and catch bait.. I might just go to the dam and try to catch some skipjack for the freezer.. Patrick, I'll let you know when I'm going the next time I take the boat out.. Hopefully we're going to start having some 50 plus Saterday's with no wind or rain sooooon.. I'm starting to get cabin fever.. And I don't like cold weather..