Alternatives to fishing poles

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mississippi man, May 3, 2006.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I know that a lot of you use other methods of fishing besides using poles. I am curious if any of you could give me some pointers on using fishing yo-yo's, limb lines, trot lines, or bank lines. When I fish for meat or go camping I would like to try some of these things this year. I've never done anything like these before and would like to try them. For example one thing I need help with for sure is a pointer on keeping my trot line straight after taking it out of the package. Do you tie all the hooks on before you leave to go and set it? On the yo-yo's do you attach more line than they come with and do you typically weight it or drift it? Please help all that I have ever used is a pole and a boat.

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I wil take a shoot advice on limb lines . Use stout line with a swivel on a limber but resonable strong line ,use live bait like blue gils , set the line so that the livebail is just in the water this is usually a dinner bel for flatheads. If I was going after channels i would put a dead minnow on o near the bottom. SE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Limb lines are illegal in Illinois. Bank poles and trotlines are not and are very effective ways to catch cats. Both topics are throughly covered in the library.

4. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got more experience with the trotlines, so here goes...

First, I don't mess with the clip on/off droppers type lines. My lines all go right on the swivel. Take the main line out of the bag, tie it up between two trees or whatever and start tying on your droppers and hooks.

Once this is done a big help is a "trotline box". Basically it is a box made of say 1/2" - 3/4" thick by 3' - 4" wood. Frame it up about 14" long to a side. For the bottom of the box staple 1/4" chicken wire to the bottom edge of the wood sides. When you are this far you have a box 3" - 4" deep with a bottom of chicken wire. Now, along the top edge of the box, saw some shallow grooves in the wood about evey inch. How many depends on your trotline. If it is a fifty hooker, then 13 to a side is plenty as long as you have 50 around the top edge of the box. Make sure the grooves are wide enough to fit the shanks of your hooks and 1/8" - 1/4" deep.

Now, take your trot line and begin to coil it into the box. No need to be real neat, just so you keep coiling it in the same direction. Once you get to the first dropper, pick a corner of the box and lay the shank in the groove closest to it with the bend outside the box and the gape down. Gently pull/push on the hook so the point lightly embeds in the wood. Keep working your way around the box until you reach you last hook. Coil the tag end of the mainline into the box and with the last 6" or so tie a loose overhand not on the bend of the last hook, this way you know where to start when you put the line out as the hooks will go out the reverse of how you put them in.. Now when you bait, you can bait the entire box simply by taking a hook from the groove, baiting it and then laying the line in the groove with the hook laying on the outside edge of the box. These work great from a boat with one fella feeding the baited hooks out of the box as someone else paddles/trolling motors/poles along.

I like using something limber to tie off at least one end of the line to. Seems we have fewer busted dropper lines/straightened hooks this way. Flooded backwaters are my location of choice as long as the river is rising or steady. If it is dropping, try the inlets/oulets of the backwaters.

Hope this helps and good luck!

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    OOPS! I guess I should of checked the library first. I found a lot of good information there. Do most of you use circle hooks when using trot lines? Thanks for the box idea. I have some wood I will try to build one tomorrow. Would you happen to have a pic of the box completed? I will check the regulations on limb lines. I know I am allowed only 50 hooks in the water at once. Which includes any poles I will be using. thanks for the replies and keep sending them.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a picture of a jumpbox. It's a double, and I never actually saw one like that used before. I've seen them stacked, though.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a picture of a jumpbox. It's a double, and I never actually saw one like that used before. I've seen them stacked, though.
    Oops! The site won't let me post it because it's already been posted somewhere else on the board. I guess that since you weren't the first to ask, you'll have to hunt for it. Bummer.

8. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use Kahle hooks on my trotline, I don't know if they do any better than regular old "J" hooks or not.

While we are on the subject of hooks, what kind of hooks do ya'll use on your yoyos. I was just recently given a couple dozen that have crappie hooks on them. What kind of hooks work best for cats on yoyos.

9. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry, I don't have a pic and Lord knows what the kids have done with the digital.

I did see a drawing of a jumpbox on one of the the trotline links in the library. We have also just used one of the $1.99 foam minnow buckets when we have run short of boxes. Just imbed the hooks around the edge and mark which one to start with. Never used circle hooks on a trotline, just regular ol' hooks. I will say that of all the parts of the trotline, the hooks that come with them seem to be the weakest link. Seen many straightened, broke, etc.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, I made a duplicate copy of the pic, gave it a different name to fool the board, and posted it.

Attached Files:

11. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks for the pic. I am going to show it to a friend and we will make something similar. You guys have given me something great to start with.

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Don't forget that your 50 hooks are your total hooks in the water. So if you place a 50 hook trot line in the river, you had better not be using a pole. But if you put out a 25 hook trot line, 10 bank poles, and 15 jugs you will be legal in the state of Illinois. I would suggest 2 less of one of those if you plan on using any poles.

Ray

13. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Also all devices that are not attended need to be tagged. I will try and find the exact wording of the reg and post it.