Alternatives to cleaning patches?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Sep 21, 2007.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    When in a pinch Ive used old tee shirts and socks to clean my guns. Does this do any harm? I make sure there are no left behind threads or anything but does this harm the rifling in any way?

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Old t-shirts won't harm your barrel, but might not have good scrubbing qualities unless you use cotton. As far as the best cleaning patch I've encountered, is to invest in a bore snake. You put your solvent on one end, and pull it through the barrel from the back. it's got the brush and swabbing section behind the area were you put the solvent. Two or three swipes through the barrel after shooting is all it takes. The best part is that when it gets dirty, just roll it up in an old sock, and throw it in the washing machine, good as new. One piece of advise though is if you do this, use the washing machine at the local laundry mat so the solvent doesn't get into your seals and make the wife go nutts!

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the t shirt patches won't hurt your rifling a bit. i have thought about using that foaming bore cleaner, but every time i clean my guns i just use the phosphor bronze brushes. i don't want to get away from something i know works.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use anything that wife wont miss!!!!

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As far as the bore cleaners, I'd be very careful of the spray cleaners. Bore Scrubber is the main one. There was a clinical study done on this and it was determined that it could soak into the skin. The chemicals that it has in it can cause liver damage. It's basically the same thing as brake parts cleaner.

I'd never use anything as a solvent to clean a weapon that wasn't made for gun cleaning. If you do, it will void what warranty you have from the manufacturer. Almost all of the solvents made for cleaning guns is petrolium based. For my own gun cleaning, I started using the solvent and lubricant from "Slip 2000". It's a little more expensive but it's all natural, cleans like the dickens, and doesn't contain any petrolium or other chemicals. It's biodegradable. You could turn it up and drink it and it won't hurt you. One of the things I like about it is that it has no odor. I can use it on my hunting arms and deer stands and not worry about the smell. I don't work for them or sell the stuff. JMO about their cleaner and why I prefer it.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    you can do alot of cleanin with just one old flannel shirt. hang it there and just tear peices off as you need um. :cool2: of course im talkin size 7x tho:big_smile:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use old tee shirts to wipe em down, but if I had to I woulden't think twice of turning one into a bunch of cheap patches.

8. trap daddy

trap daddy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No this does not hurt your rifling. Have you ever used ballistol in your black powder guns. It is the best stuff ever. They sell it in quart bottles. you mix it with 20% water. Cleans away all black powder Gums. I use it in my flint locks.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    i bet the tshirt or socks will be dirty ha ha :crazy: