Alternative to gizzard chad.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Instigator, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Instigator

Instigator New Member

State:
    Herndon, VA
    He fella's I'm having a hard time netting some bait. I even went to the extreme of taking one of those laundry bags that look like an old highschool jersey filled with dog food and came back to net and caught four 6inch chad. I did not have success with that method last weekend. I think that the water temp is to cold b/c the depth is only 5-7 feet deep. I know all the livers, and clam snout. Someone come up with something that really works.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    where are you attempting to get bait? its not too cold for the bait yet on the james .. all the normal spots are still giving up bait like it was summertime

a good alternative is eels then bluegill

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Have you guys tryed danny kings catfish bait on the james. I know for me here on the potomac we still have shad . And i use punch bait here and it puts loads of cats in the boat. Just something to try when you can't find the bait or you run out.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I use a gill net. A couple of weeks ago when I went out, I set the net once for 15 minutes and filled my cooler. In fact I brought the extra bait home and cut it all up into steaks and froze it in prep for the winter. During the that 15 minutes that the gill net was deployed I threw a cast net in the same area and didn't get a fish, which kind of speaks for how effective the gill net is.
    /Scott

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    no tim i don't .. i only use natural baits

i'm sure if i was out for eaters one day maybe i'd try something like that .. i'm too addicted to big fish fishin!

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I think Fl. had a problem with chads a few years ago.

Clam snouts??
    Sorry,can't help you.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You ain't rite Cook! LOL! I love it! LOL!

8. Instigator

Instigator New Member

State:
    Herndon, VA
    Cook, thanks for your reply, helpful. ;) Clam snouts are big pieces of snot that work sometimes. None the less. I found my chad, I took some dog food and put in in a laundry bag, let it set four about two hours on this one flat that I find them on. I only had to chuck the cast net once. Nice gizzards too, had one about 9inches that caught the biggest fish of the day. 28lbs flatty.