altamaha river

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by fearless58, Jun 15, 2009.

1. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    all right the river is coming down. i am ready to try this flathead fishing with rod and reel.i am new to this kinda i have allways bush hooked. but even that was along time ago.i need some tips or ideas on where and how to ancor and what kinda rigs work best. i know night is best but you can catch them during day right? i live in hinesville so if anyone wants to go and teach an old dog new tricks i am willing to learn.what does the river need to get down to?

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well fearless welcome to BOC and welcome to my favorite river. I live in hinesville as well and spend alot of time on the altamaha i put in at jaycees landing most times. the river is still very high and makes fishing slow but i am starting to finaly get into some fish ive been averaging one good flathead each night i go out and a couple smaller ones or channel cats.
    Im gonna start by trying to give a lil help. As far as rigging goes there are so many options defently use pyramid or some type of no roll sinker. for hooks a 5/0 circle is my favorite. 20-30lb test is more than enough most of the time. LIVE bait i repeat LIVE bait for flatheads weather you go out and catch yourself some bream which work great or buy yourself some goldfish. Goldfish can be bought at most bait shops including the one right there at Jaycees landing.
    Do you have a boat?
    Alright seeing as i could go on all day ill stop there for now and end with an open offer to go out one the river and show you around some.

3. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    i do have a boat. i also have apond slap full of bream.just really need some help on how to approach the river . i have spent alot of time on the river just fishing for other things. let me knopw i can go most any time

4. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Fearless!

We don't live in Hinesville, but we consider the Altamaha our "home" water. We were on the river just about every weekend last year. This year it's been tough, with the water level so dang high! It is coming down, but it has a ways to go before it gets reasonable. It's a mixed blessing anyways. The lower the river gets, the harder it is to stay out of those submerged trees all along it, but the easier it is to anchor and fish since the current is way less violent.

I agree with most everything Armycatfish said, especially the LIVE bait part! We've caught a few small flatheads on rooster livers and shrimp, but that's definitely the exception. Load up your live well with some of the pond bream and you'll be all set!

As for places to try, we spend most of our time pretty far down the river. We usually don't even think about dropping anchor until we're about 8-10 miles down from Jessup. The two main reasons for that are a) the smell of that plant is almost gone that far down the river, and b) there are some REALLY nice deep holes way down river!

If you're not too familiar with the river, you can try right around the sunken paddle boat, and just upriver from it. We've pulled a few 10-15 pounders from that area when the weather (or time) didn't allow us down river.

Good luck...and stay safe!
    - Marty -

5. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the sunken paddle boat as produced fish upto 40lbs for me and is a great place to start upstream from it there is a wall by one of the valves for the mill that is the only place i have caught any decent fish thus far this year. i fish anything from 10miles upriver to altamaha park. right now i have been told by some friends up river even further is producing slightly better because of slightly lower water levels.

The fish are still in there just more spread out and more current to deal with.

When the river gets low start out by running it a little slower than normal you will find the places you can run without the fear of submerged logs however partialy submerged or floating logs are at time unavoidable.

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Fearless,
    Welcome to the BOC. I'll give you some of my beliefs and the tactics I like. I've done well with Bream, gold fish, and shiners. I prefer bream. They need to be pretty hearty if you take them out of ponds, the Ga giants work well but I've tried some of the thinner ones and they don't hold up to the altamaha current. Shiners usually limit you with hook selection cause they require a thinner gauge than I use.
    Hooks-Owner 6/0 to 8/0 octopus or something similar
    Braided superline creates less drag and sinks easier in the current.
    50-80lb mono leader for a little bit of stretch
    20-40lb class rod I like ugly stick bigwater
    Penn 310 GTI reel has plenty of torque to pull em out of the brush
    I like to use party baloons for floats with a glowstick in them. (I can put 4 ounces on a big bream and float him into a brush pile)
    I also fish regular carolina rigs on the bottom.
    I have heard of people being successful during the day but if I had to pick my time it would be 4-10am. That's when my bush hooks produce the best. Deep bends with cover is ideal.
    Also the Satilla offers some great fishing for flatties, especially if the Altamaha is too high to fish. The burnt fort ramp is about an hour from Jaycees, near Folkston. Fish up to 70lbs I hear, I've caught plenty in the 20's and one 40lber. There is a mercury advisory on the bigger fish, I'm not dead yet though. Rod and reel is slow compared to bush hooks, if I run 10 hooks overnight and end up with 7 or 8 it's a good night, 3 on rod and reel and I am pretty excited. I hope this gives you an idea.

7. altamaha-cats

altamaha-cats New Member

State:
    Ga
    Party balloons with glowsticks in them sound like an awesome idea i need to try....i ve seen shark guys at the pier use them but i never thought about trying it on some flatheads.

8. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Just moved from that area a month ago and miss it already....lol There is a library of a large vast of information from many BOC members. One thing for sure that has not been mentioned in the past posts is anchoring your boat. The Altamaha is a dangerous river. ONLY drop anchor from the bow of the boat facing the current ahead of where your fishing and drift back to lock it in place especially if there is alot of current. NEVER, NEVER tie the anchor off the side or rear of the boat with the rear facing the current. Allot of things can happen in just a split second causing you and your boat to be under water.

Again I would read all the articles I could in the members library and you will find anything you want to know and how to do it.

One thing for sure. I can not ever repay Armycatfish and Fivebraids enough for teaching me many things of how to read the waters and where to look for bait fish and many other things I never knew.

Good luck.

9. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    AltamahaJon states a very good point i run that river more than alot of people could even think of doing but i still hit a log or sand bar now and then not to mention the current can be hellacious. anchor the way greg says could save you alot of trouble in the main river

10. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    thanks for all the info .i have been hitting the river 2 or 3 or4 times aweek since it got below 8ft so far no flatties. i have been using live brim only runs are from gar. i always put some cut bait or shrimp out and only catch small blues or channels no big ones good eaters though. how about eels has anyone tried earing them? i tried them for bait turtles and gar like them.think i might have to go to santee to catch something with some size!

11. altamaha-cats

altamaha-cats New Member

State:
    Ga
    The last 2 times i went i caught a 22.5lb flat, 20.5 lb channel, 15, 10, and 7.5 lb flats. Its been pretty slow this year so far with the high water but it should get better and better as is continues to drop. We had been having lots of gar hit and steal the gills....gar would be fun if you could ever hook one but you have to let them have it forever for them to swallow it.

12. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    finally! i caught a small flatty about 10 or 12 pounds out of the river on cut eel.still no bigger blues or channels. i know they have to be there because of the number of small ones. i have been using a varity of baits live cut shrimp ect. i have fished out sde bends deep water full of logs deep holes off ends of sand bars but i get most of my bites ancoring and fishing in the middle of the river.

13. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    looking for a camp ground on the water.maby close to jessup.
    the wife and i have a motorhom but do some tent camping due to the gass prices . i have a small window unite i use in the tent . will need eletric hook up.

14. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Nice flathead. Coming up this weekend to fish down below Altamaha Park. Are you targeting blues/channels or just fishing? Lots of different things I try for different fish, day or night.

15. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Papa sage

Look into Altamaha Park on 341 north of Brunswick.....they have tent and RV sites....on bank of Altamaha river

Regards

Smackover

16. fearless58

fearless58 New Member

State:
    ga
    bob ireally fishing for any kind of cats but i have been trying hard to catch flatheads. i use to catah alot setting lines and i am sure i still can but i want to do it with a rod and reel.never have caught many big blues or channels though. matbe i will see you on the river untill then good luck and let me know how you did

17. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    There is a camping area at the top of the hill at the JC Lndg just by the big tower on the hill. Check with the Bait shop at the landing about details. Should be just right for ya. Aint no KOA just some spots that have hook ups.

18. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    is there a website or pictures and directions . what town is it close to

19. TABB

TABB New Member

State:
    Ga
    any body been catchin any thing on the altamaha

20. TABB

TABB New Member