Altamaha River- What is your cell phone service?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have always had Nextel(Sprint now) as my cell phone. It gets great service in Jesup, Everrett, and around I-95 where I fish the most. However, if I get
    5-10 miles away down away from everything, I don't have any service. Hasn't been a problem except last year I had some boat problems. I tried for about 6 hours trying to get them fixed before I finally did. I couldn't call anyone because I didn't have service. Are there any cell phone companies that would get better service in these remote areas? What are you using?
    Thanks...

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It was the same for me up this river.

I switched to Verizon and have service just about everywhere.

3. Shebraids

Shebraids New Member

State:
    ga
    Bob,

We have AT&T and have the same issue on the Altamaha. We only have to go a couple of miles down river and we lose our signal.

When Marty & I joined up with Greg & Terry for our little excursion they had real good cell coverage. I'm guessing we were about 8 miles down river and they had no problem receiving calls. Perhaps they'll chime in to let you know what carrier they use.

~Denise~

4. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Hey Guys and Gals...... we are served by Alltel of course which has been bought out by Verison..... so here in the near future most services should be opening up and some will have more coverage. I was able to pull up internet and look at the weather and see radar and all that good stuff. Now that is not to say the next time we go that something may be flakey in one of the towers.... things are known to happen. They have done some local work around here on several tower and updated them or repairs from lightning etc which slowly either knocks out one of the receiver pairs..antennas...or hard line damage.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, Nextels are the worst phones available with the worst coverage. I don't know how that company is still in business as sorry as their service is. I guess it's a good thing there are people who really need the touch to talk feature but there are plenty of good wireless providers that how have that feature as well. Everyone that I know that has had a contract with Nextel never renewed it, should tell ya something right there. I've got Verizon and I hardly ever have any issues with mine even in the more remote places I fish.