Altamaha river trip

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I went to the Altamaha last night. River was up about 1/2 foot than last week but still low. Caught lots of good bream for bait. Ended up with 5 flatheads- 4 under 10 pounds and 1 about 20 pounds. Cooler weather is here as the temp got down to the high 40's. Beautiful night with a skyfull of stars...

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bob,

Where did you put in at? Did you go up river or down river?

Thanks,
    Paul

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Paul,

I put in at Jaycees Landing in Jesup and ran downstream a few miles...

-Bob

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations on a good night!

Hope we can get together soon!

I ahve a couple of pictures from Saturday night that I will post, but I have to download and resize them first.

5. Lil'John

Lil'John New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That was a niece catch. I've fished that area several times and I like it down there.

6. smackover

smackover New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Do you guys ever fish out of Altamah Park ?

I am looking fo a place to camp and fish set hooks
    on the lower end of the altamah ?

Altamah Jon I like you will be glad when I meet the
    post requirement to PM

Smackover

7. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    We are having a Georgia Gathering at Altamaha park in June. You should look into it over in the "Gathering section". We will be all camping down there starting on june 28th.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on the fish sound like you had a fun time

9. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Ok Glenn; Do like Cretus says and go to the gathering section and read all the post on the Georgia Gathering. Would be good if you could make it. These guys have alot of knowledge and experience. I am looking forward to getting down that way and meeting the ones that have helped me so much so far.

This is the best resource for fishing by far. I am a member of a couple of others for Bass and other fishing links. This one tops them all.

Hope to see ya down that way come May.....

AJ

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    we smashed about a mile down stream from jaycee's i posted are totals on another post you gotta love that river for flats

11. Big Bo

Big Bo New Member

State:
    georgia
    Anyone fishing in next weekends tournament? Just wanting to know........Big Bo

12. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Can anyone tell me how to fish the Altamaha for Flatheads. I've always fished the Chattahoochee river have no problems catching cats in 30, 40, and 50 feet of water. But the Altamaha is completely different , not deep at all. Where is the ideal place to fish? I saw some folks fishing 5 to 10 feet from the bank around tree tops. Is that the ideal place? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

13. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    WHATS THE WEATHER USUALLY DO AROUND THE END OF JUNE? IF I M ABLE TO MAKE THE GATHERING I WILL PROBLY CAMP OUT IN MY HAMMOCK IF THE BUGS ARENT TOO BAD. ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT TO EXPECT?

14. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    The weather has been nice most of the years we have been down there but not to worry we'll find room in a tent for you if needed

15. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    R WARD THANKS! IM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I CAN MAKE IT. IF I CAN ILL TRY TO GET 1 OR 2 FROM N GA. TO SEE IF THEY RE WILLING TO SPLIT GAS.

16. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Ryco10,

Every hole is a little different in the Altamaha. I am assuming that you are fishing from a boat. During the day, I mostly set up right in front of downed trees in the river. Try to locate some also that aren't visible about the water's surface, those are some of the best. I usually fish a little deeper during the day and try to throw as close as I can to the cover. Expect to loose some rigs. At night, I usually set up sort of similar, fishing close to cover. I fish a little shallower and throw rods out covering a larger area behind the boat. Another thing I like to do is move often. During the night, I might move up to 6-7 times. During the day, it is more like 10-12. Good luck...

17. Ryco10

Ryco10 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks Cuda. Did you fish in the Wayne County Tournament? Fishing this river is about opposite of what I'm used to fishing, but am going to keep trying....thanks

18. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    No, I did not fish the Wayne County tournament this year. Yeah, keep trying, you'll start to get it figured out...