Altamaha River Trip

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Went Sat. night. Water temp. has fallen 14 degrees since the last time I went just two weeks ago to 61 degrees. Caught lots of good bait including some nice crappie that fell between 11-13 inches long. Turned those loose but might have to keep a few to take home next time. Only three flatheads though- 3,5,8 pounds. Chilly night but the wind died down after dark so it wasn't too bad.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Cuda,

What was the water level like, is it starting to normalize?

I am heading down next weekend for the holiday weekend to give it a try.

Paul

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    The river is still low but not extreme now. Looking at the future forcast, they are calling for the river to be around 2.5 starting Friday. Just watch for the usual stumps, limbs, etc. If you get down around Lake Bluff, go slow. The area right before there is the only spot I really had any trouble at. Good luck.

4. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    i tried lake bluff and caught a 15 pound channel and hung up on another one much bigger. but it sure does suck going down stream that far and then coming back when its 30 degrees. cuda cuda.thank you for warning me about the depth before you get to lake bluff. if u hadnt told me i would skeeeeeeted right over the sandbarrrrrrrrrrrs

5. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    where's lake bluff in relation to jaycees landing. I went up a few weeks ago and it was too low for my sea pro, I have a 20ft pontoon now, do you guys think I could Putt putt around in that now without getting stuck? Does anyone know how far sea tow covers up the altamaha? thanks for any info.
    matt

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Lake Bluff is about 5 miles downstream from Jaycee's Landing. There is a slew about 30 yards wide that comes in from the left. There is also a small sign on a corner tree - "Lake Bluff"- that identifies the area. The river is around 2.5 feet now and is expected to rise to almost 3 foot before dropping again. I would be hard pressed to recommend anyone with a 20 foot boat to be on the river without knowing a little more about it until the river got to at least 4 foot. You can call up to Jaycees and ask them though, they see many boats launch and probably have a better idea though. The number is 912-588-9222.
    I have no idea about Sea Tow. I would assume they might come up some in the tidewater. Jaycees is 65 miles from the coast. Probably too far but I would definately ask just to make sure.
    Even with the water up, can still be dangerous. Be careful everytime you are on the Altamaha.