Altamaha River Trip

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Went to fish this past weekend for a couple of days/nights. Got chilly last night with the wind and some rain yesterday but overall good fishing weather. Caught a lot of small channels just messing around during the days. I bet I caught over 60. Got some nice baits also. Panfish numbers were around 100 for two days, turned most loose. Shellcrackers, redbreast, bream, speckled perch(up to 1 1/2 pounds). Didn't catch many flatheads though. Three in two nights- 5, 12, and 20 pounds. Still a nice trip.
    The river is very low but it is a great time to take you kids. Cooler days and the low water has all the fish concentrated.

2. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    do you think its getting to cold to fish for flattys

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    No, air temperature has nothing to do with flatheads biting. The water temp. is the key. I have caught flatheads when the water temperature is 53 degrees and the air temperature in the 30's. The water temperature was in the 70's this past weekend.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hey cuda, we'll be down your way this weekend to watch Florida tear into GA:big_smile: .

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Hey matt I know you meant to say watch Flordia get beat by Georgia

6. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    But back to fishin.....Wish I lived down your way Cuda-Cada. Sounds like the Altamaha is the type of river fishin I was used to fishin when I was growing up in Albany GA many, many years ago. We fished the Flint River river and sometimes would catch so many eating size catfish that we could not string-up those fish fast enough so we'd throw them into the bottom of the john boat. I'll tell the rest of this story another time...but thanks for sharing a south Ga good fishin trip!! I do miss the south Ga type of fishing.

7. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    why do people pull out 30,40 and 50's and take them home. i looked on that picture board at jaycees landing and people caught so many they could eat flathead for years:eek:oooh: PUT EM BACK.

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Hey all of you that fish the altamaha need to get on the list in the member gathering thread and come to our ga gathering apr 13 14 15 next year

9. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Yeah it gets crazy in this town when the game comes to town. Not much on the Gators- Bulldogs maybe. My college is West Virginia University.
    I have heard some good things about the Flint River. A friend of mine lives over that way and has invited me over next year. Looking forwards to going.
    Catmax, next time you are at Jaycees Landing, look for the picture of me holding the 62 pound flathead I caught this year. It was outside on the pole by the bait Saturday. I put my name, weight, rod/reel and RELEASED on the photo. I don't fault anyone for keeping what they catch but I want to let people know you don't have to keep every big one. From what I hear, it was probably the biggest flathead ever caught and released on the Altamaha River. I probably should keep a few more myself but the 5 pounder along with a 12 pounder back in July is the only two I have kept this year. Terrific eating...

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA

Well, no not really:embarassed: . Gotta stand next to my team and watchum do it again to The GA:beated: