Altamaha River trip 11/28

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by matt22va, Nov 28, 2007.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Nothing really useful to post, but we put in under the bridge in Jesup at 11 this morning and fished til about 7 tonight. We'd never been on the river during the colder months and didn't really know what we were doing. So we went off what we had read, and fished a couple spots we new that were deeper in bends of the river and had some bottom structure. The first spot I marked what appeared to be three fish, but we soaked bream for about three hours there with no luck. About 5 o'clock I started getting what appeared to be a hit, but he would just pull it, then tap it a couple of times, then leave it alone, then come back and do the same thing again, for an hour and a half. I reeled in a bluegill that was alive and had no marks on him, so I don't know. As most of you know the river is down, I think the level is around 1ft, but I'm not for sure. Enough water for me to put around in a 20 ft pontoon with no issues. Water temp was around 59.5. One question for you guys that fish this river more often: We only fish at night during the warmer months, we figured with the river down and the cooler water temp, a day trip was worth a shot. Do any of you guys have luck during the day? Thanks alot,
    Matt

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where I fish there are mostly blue cats, but we do catch some nice flatheads on fresh cut bream during the day in the spring and fall when the water temps. are colder. Do you ever use cutbait? I know most flatheads are caught on live bait, but fresh cutbait could be worth a try. Maybe someone who fishes the Altamaha regularly could help more. Good luck fishin'.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Matt,

Thanks for the report on the river. What did the water level look like?

4. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Commando,
    The water was clear, I could see the bottom in 3.5 ft. As far as the height of the river I'll tell you what I can. It's the lowest I've seen it. There is still enough water at Jaycees landing that I could've put my pontoon in there and paddled to the river. I put in below Jaycees under the bridge and the only part of my truck that wasn't over sand was the two front wheels which were on the end of the ramp. Hope this helps.
    Matt

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I know some guys do well during the day on flatheads but I still like fishing at night, even during fall. I have caught flatheads as late as mid- dec. down below Jesup with the water temp. being cold as 53 degrees. The past couple of years though, I usually fish out of Altamaha Park during the late season. I have fished up and down from the park during this time and caught flatheads up to 40 pounds. Might be the tide that keeps them moving more during the colder water times, I am not sure. Only bad part about night fishing this time of the year is that it gets very cold sometimes. One night, a couple of years ago, it got down to 26 degrees. That was a rough night...