Altamaha River Trip- 10-5-06

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Fished out of Jesup yesterday. Not many people on the river this time of the year. River is real low right above Lake Bluff, spent some time trying to find a way through to continue downstream.
    Caught some nice bait, redbreast, shellcrackers, and spotted sunfish. The surprise of the day was that I also caught two buttercats(yellow bullheads). They were 8 inches and 11 inches long. Kept the smaller one to use for bait. In over 12 years I have never caught a buttercat from the Altahama River. Word was that they were ate up by the flatheads. I guess the low water has brought these out of the swamp.
    Ended up catching four flatheads, nothing big, 4,5,and two 15 pounders. Beautiful full moon night with the gators growling all night long.

2. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    I'm Planning on doing some bank fishing for flat's & wondered If anyone could recomend a spot- from Jaycees on down, that I can park/ camp & do some fishin- I usually rent a boat from the base & set up shop on a sand bar - I havent ventured past the --paddleboat & jaycees landing. I keep hearing about morgan lake though. I want to camp & catch some flats without a boat any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    :big_smile:

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I usually fish from a boat so I might not be much help. I know you can fish off the pier at Jaycees Landing or the new ramp under 301 bridge. Morgans Lake is a great spot. I don't know if they rent trailers/cabins, but I think you can bring a tent. There are some spots on the lake you can fish from. Further down towards Everett is Upper Sansavilla Landing. There are some spots along the edge of the river you could fish. Altamaha Park Landing is next down. Great place. Camping, bait/tackle store, and a couple of fishing piers. It is tidal down there.
    I know you don't want to rent a boat but I think it is your best chance to catch some nice flatheads. The river is very low so you can catch good bait and you can see the snags better to catch flatheads out of. Also, the river is mostly empty this time of the year so you will have a lot of holes to yourself.
    If you do rent a boat, let me know and I will give you some places to try below the paddleboat.

4. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    cuda cuda. why does the water change color about a mile down from jaycees landing. it looks like that pipe is putting something in the water

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    There are two different pipes that come into the river from the mill. Don't know what it is, I think some kind of by-product. Don't think it hurts anything or else the riverkeepers would be all over it.