Altamaha River - Search for the new state/world record

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by catmax, Feb 18, 2007.

1. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    i truly believe that this river will yield a new state record, and will be caught this year. me and my buddy intend on fishing the altamaha many many times this year.

2. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I definately know there are flatheads bigger than the state record still in the Altamaha. I think there are probably a few that go over 100 lbs. I caught and released one that weighed 62 lbs last year and limbliners catch some every year that weigh over 70 lbs. Just a matter of time. Probably start back chasing them in late march myself.

3. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    i was wondering how the weather has been and if the river is warming up at all. and what is the desired tempature for the first visit to the river.any locals around please respond

4. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the altamaha is still a little cool and the bite has been real slow but it should start picking up in the next month

5. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    the new state record is 83 or 85 lbs for a flat. it was caught out of the altamaha last year. good luck and use big tackle so you can get that new state record to the boat.

6. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    it was 86# and something is fishy about his story and it was not the fish

7. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I usually start in April. I have heard of limeliners catching them all year round though. I think the water might still be too cold but the rise and fall of the river gets them moving. The water temp. is usually in the high 50's, low 60's in the spring when I start and in the fall I have fished down to when the water is 46 degrees but caught flatheads only down to 53 degrees.

8. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    i upgraded my line to 80 pound braided. and down graded my rodds, but they are still stiff. last years rodds were so stiff that a 38 pounder drugg the boat and had another one drag it about 15 feet before he got into a heavy snagg:eek:oooh: . but cant wait for this summer

9. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    the first trip has been planed.march 16,17,18. may be a little early but hell what else you gonna do

10. georgia_hunter

georgia_hunter New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Me and a friend went last weeknd, did not do anything hardly. We caught 5 fish nuttin over 10 pounds. We planed on going back but the river is on a fast rise here in Hazlehurst. Let me know how you do, hope you have better luck than us.

11. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    were those 5 fish flatheads???????

12. georgia_hunter

georgia_hunter New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yup All 5 were Flatheads.

13. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    my god in heaven, remind me to never fish the altamaha river when its 11.5 and rising. lets just say the river could have capsized most average size boats.:eek:oooh: and the 30mph winds were hell. i didnt even know where to start to fish when i pulled up to jaycees landing and saw the river.

14. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How much current does the altamaha have most of the time. How much weight does it take ?

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
  16. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

What was fishy about it?? The guy who caught it is a BOC member..Didnt seem fishy to me. Sounded like he was in the right place at the right time, and landed a monster.

17. catmax

catmax New Member

State:
    georgia
    ole muddy- i use 4 ounces but i think sometimes u need 5 or 6. 4 skipped along on the bottom of the river this weekend. in which stretch of the river did he catch this monster 86 pounder.

18. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks fellows I coming down to Hazelhurst the 26 to try to stick a big ole flatty

19. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i know the the exact place where he caught caught the flathead and the reel he was useing most likely would not hold a cat of that size in the current that he was in. i have been fishing that area for over twenty years and have caught several over fifty pounds in that same area and i know how much pressure it will put on a reel and line. sometimes fame will make even the best of people lie. fish of over fifty pounds are very common on this river and can be caught almost anywhere.i am not saying that he did not catch the fish and he may have lucked up and caught it on a rod

20. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    he caught that catfish a couple miles away from jacee landing