Altamaha River Level

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by tbird, Nov 17, 2009.

1. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I see that the river is at 9.31 feet at Doctortown. That sounds like a lot but I don't know. What would pool be? When does it come out of the banks?What is normal??

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Terry,

I like it at 6 or below at Doctor Town myself.

Shallower, the better in my opinion.

3. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I was down there a couple weeks ago at the Altamaha Park and I was surprised at how high the water was. I would not have been comfortable on it at that level.

4. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's coming up fast... It will be up to the pad on my place at Carter's Bight by Sun. I'm going today to start moving some things upstairs.:eek:oooh:

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Is this bad boy ever going to drop?

I have been waiting it seems like almost 40 days... :sad2:

Some folks love high-water fishing, me, I like it low..

6. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR
    THE ALTAMAHA RIVER AT BAXLEY.
    * UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE...OR UNTIL THE WARNING IS CANCELLED.
    * AT 9:45 AM THURSDAY THE STAGE WAS 75.4 FEET.
    * MINOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MINOR FLOODING IS FORECAST.
    * FLOOD STAGE IS 74.5 FEET.
    * FORECAST...THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE RISING TO NEAR 77.5 FEET BY
    EARLY MONDAY MORNING THEN BEGIN FALLING.
    * IMPACT...AT 78.0 FEET...WATER BEGINS TO AFFECT HOMES IN THE CARTER BIGHT AND DAVIS LANDING AREA.

At 78.4 feet its on my pad... If the forcast is correct I'm OK...:big_smile:

7. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Bill I hope you stay dry.How did you make out in April?

8. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    The river came up 5' 4" under my cabin...We spent the week there and watched it rise. It was probably one of the best outdoor experiences I've ever observed. Nothing like I had pictured in my mind to be. The cabin was completely surrounded by water. I thought it would be rushing by with great turbulence but it was moving very peaceful and slow. We fished off the back porch all week. Didn't even get a bite but it was quite enjoyable. My neighbor came in on the Sunday that we left and caught a 25 pound blue on a set hook in my backyard. It was a great week.

When I left yesterday the water was about 5 inches below the pad under the house.:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. old pops

old pops New Member

State:
    georgia
    The ocmulgee is over 14 feet above normal starting to level out . Looking for info around burnt fort on the satilla Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    The river is back in the banks and still falling. However things are just right for a perfect flood. Most of the lakes are full, the swamp is waterlogged and all of the trees are dormant. The watershed is pretty much saturated. The only thing lacking is a storm from the Gulf of Mexico dropping about 18 inches of water for four or five days over North and Middle Georiga area... We could easily be looking at the 1998 flood levels again...:eek:oooh:

11. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well she's coming back up again and fast. I think I'm moving my stuff this time. Even if it doesn't come over the bank its just a matter of time before it's two or 3 feet under my cabin. Another rain like yesterday and we've got a major flood on our hands... Yea I think now is the time to take some action before it's too late...:eek:oooh: .... the good news is it's great for the fish...:big_smile:

What do you think...???

12. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    yep better to go ahead and leave than to take a chance....do what you have to to stay safe:wink:

13. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    The water is waist deep in my yard and predicted to rise another foot. :eek:oooh:...

14. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
  15. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Homeowners contacted NOAA regarding a gauge at Carter's Bight and got a positive reaction however the caveat was we would have to pay for the upkeep... approximately $13,000 a year...:eek:oooh: ....:roll_eyes:

It sounds ridiculous however I'm not too sure it wouldn't be a bad idea... Using the Baxley reading is terribly unreliable...

16. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I just got back from the river and it looks like it's going be up for a while.We were planning on having Christmas in the cabin maybe next year... My birthday is tomorrow and I was really looking forward to spending it on the river.. Oh Well... I guess I'll just have to celebrate at the house LOL:big_smile:
    CHEERS!!!!:wink:

17. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I got stuff scattered from Carter's Bight to Oh-hells Slough...

The Old River caught me flat-footed this time... I learned a good lesson... you can't depend on NOAA predictions of river levels and anybody that says local rain won't affect you is as crazy as a runover dog. Everything that was under my cabin is gone. I did see my refrigerator floating in the swamp.

:Money:

18. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Sorrry to hear that Bugg. I know it sure has been up a long time now.

19. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I went to the river yesterday and it was still in the yard but dropping fast. I'm going back in a few min. to get some things i forgot. The water is cold and running hard. I think were still in for a long time of high water...:angry:

20. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I was just in your neck of the woods last week and was amazed at the river level, I am looking forward to fishing it again this summer and to see how this high water will change the overall geography of the river. I am sure sandbars will shift and new hole will be created along with new cover being washed out into the river it will be a great flathead season. More sunfish will be hatched in the swamp. More bait more flatheads, big flatheads. Sorry about your things Bugg, NOAA tries their best but it is not an exact science.