Altamaha river in Georgia - Anyone catching anything?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by wade, Mar 15, 2006.

1. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    Just wondering if anybody has a fishing report for the altamaha river.its getting about that time for those flatheads to start biting.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have not heard of many being caught yet. The Bream and bass are just starting to bed and then the Flatties will start soon after. I know of a few channels and on the coastal end near the mouth they have gotten a few blues but that is about all I have heard of.

3. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    Gator, I have spoken with DNR and they swear up and down that there isn't any blues in the Altamaha. I fish the lower end of the river alot from Altamaha PArk to 95 and know that section very well, I'm planning on making a trip up to Jaycees Landing and fish down river, I've heard there are some good spots in that area

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Wade I know there are blues in the Ogeechee river and have been told there are and are not blues in the Altamaha. I know there are creeks that join the 2 and knowing this I don't see why there would not be Blues in there. But hey, I am just posting what I have been told...LOL I have caught channles and flatheads out of there but no blues myself. Then again I have caught flatheads and channles but no blues in the Ogeechee. but the guy i was fishing with caugh 4 real nice ones about 20# each last year out of my boat so I have seen them in the Ogeechee but never caugh one there. Who know for sure?

5. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    Gator I think the same thing on the blues in the altamaha its a big river with a lot of back water.I'm planning a trip to jaycees at the end of april are the first of may hopefully the flatheads will be biting pretty good by that time.I know the lower end of the river is good that time of year.

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Wade, I fished down past Lewis Creek to 95 last November. I am not used to fishing such a wide range of tides, the water level changes a lot and the outgoing tide really rips. Some great looking snags and lots of depth. Should be some monsters down there. Only caught a few flatheads under 10 lbs the two nights I went. Have you had any luck in this area?

7. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    Cuda-Cada, I have fished that section of the river since I was a little boy, my great-grandfather used to have a houseboat at the Clarks Bluff area, so I know that section of the river from Altamaha Park to 95 very well. I have caught plenty of cats outta that section. The tide does rip pretty good on outgoing and there is plenty of deep holes in that area. There is some grown cats in that area. I am planning on fishing up river some this year. I don't know the river that well past the park, heard there is some good fishing below jaycees though. Are you familiar with that stretch of river?

8. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Wade,
    I usually fish down from Jesup to Paradise Park. Good fishing. I have been fishing that area for about 8 years now. If I can send you my number in a PM, I would be happy to share some information about the area I know for some information you know...

-Bob

9. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    Fellows, I live in Jesup, Looking forward to meeting some of ya'll on your visits to the Altamaha....I just wanted to say hello, I hope this isn't taken as just mindless chatter, but I've at least got to get my post count to ten so's I can PM GATOR.

cl

10. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    i went and fished the altamaha park pier last night from about 9 until 0230. caught a bluegill, eel(fresh bait), and a 2lbs. Bowfin. i lost four nice cats as well. apparently i need to rethink my baiting methods. ill be back

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I pm'ed you my cell number.

12. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    I got it gator, I'll give you a call.
    hh

13. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    Since hearing about the Altamaha river, i have been twice to the Regional Park fishing. Both times i caught ONE BOWFIN, and lost four cats the first time and one the second time. I have been fishing from the pier just upstream from the landing and baitshop. I doubt that i will return without a boat, it seems access to other areas of the river are pretty much acquired by boating. the first time i went was the saturday before last, i fished from about 2100hrs. to 0300. I used cut Bluegill and cut local Eel. the eel produced the most strikes. this last time i fished was last night, we used cut bass, crappy, shiners 2-4inches, and eventually cut Bowfin. Any specific information as to getting into the big flatties would be greatly appreciated

14. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    gator, I haven't had a chance to call yet............but I will

hhh

15. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    i refuse to let this thread die, anyone been on the alta lately? if so what did you use, where did you use it and how did you use it? i refuse to believe that no one is fishing the heck out of that river its perfect for them monster flatties. even the dnr guys say so. apparently they have shocked or netted flatheads over a hundred pounds out of there. anyone believe this or am i being too optimistic?

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Brothe I get my stiches out today and maybe next weekend if you want to go let me know

17. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Dave,
    I went a couple of weeks ago. Caught one small one but not much else. I will be fishing the tournament this weekend out of Jesup. I will post how I do.
    As far as baits on the Altamaha, I have used goldfish, bullheads, bream, and eels. Caught nice fish of all of them. Mostly I use a weight, swivel, leader, hook rig- nothing fancy. I fish out of a boat so I fish many different set ups in the river. I guess I fish right on submerged wood and current breaks the most. I used to fish off of shore when I first started going up there though. In fact, my first Altamaha flathead was 38 pounds and was caught right off the bank at the Altamaha Park.

18. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Gator,
    I am glad to hear you are on your way to recovery. Are you coming up to watch the weigh-in of the tournament? If so, let me know and I will look for you -Bob

19. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Well I'm back in the BOC one more time.

20. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Bob I will be there saturday for sure. Henry Great to have you back brother!