Altamaha River- 7/28/06

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cuda-Cada, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Went to the Altamaha River yesterday. River very low-1.9. Haven't seen it that low since around 2000-2001. Went to launch out of Jaycees but had to wait over an hour until a bad storm moved through. Caught about 40 bream for bait and fished all night. Ended up with 11 flatheads. They ranged from 3 pounds to 12 pounds. Cool thing is that I caught 5 flatheads from the same spot from 6am-6:35am. Guess they didn't get enough to eat during the night.
    Some other highlights from the trip was the bunch of hog sign along the edge of the river, even saw a momma with a bunch of little ones. There was a baby eagle streching its wings along a sand bar. Big enough to fly but still had its baby colors. Also there a lot of gators swimming around. Saw a big one in the morning that could have gone about 10 foot.

2. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'm from up in north georgia but i understand a new record flathead has been caught down there. I gonna come down that way sometime and try the altamaha river out. Keep the tight lines tight.

3. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you had fun. I haven't been, due to the low water there. It is bad low, and you can run over stuff you never see on higher water. There are some deep holes below the Jaycees landing that usually has a big one or two, if they haven't been fished out. Lots of good fishin' from there down to Seaboard. Morgan's lake also has some deeeeeep holes. Good fishin', Jack.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sounds like you had a good time anyways. Good job on the flats.

5. eagleclaw22

eagleclaw22 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i fished during that rain shower(5:00-11:00) AND IT FINALY STOPED. i fished a deep 17 foot hole 1 mile down from the jaycees landing. i didnt get anything. it was also my first time on the river. i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed help

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats. That's a bunch of flatheads for one night. You've been having a pretty good year. Sorry I missed your call yesterday. Ben and I were at the park with the Boy Scouts helping to put on a Triathalon. I sent you an email a few days back about some goodlooking fishing days this fall.

I did fish the Edisto on the 23rd. Even in tidewater, I think the river was the lowest I've ever fished it. Had a pretty good evening, got 6 flatheads: 5 were 8 pounds or less and one at 28.5. I posted in the flathead forum about it.

I'll talk to you soon.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey brother why didn't you say something I would have lunched and went with ya........LOL

8. eagleclaw22

eagleclaw22 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    how fast is too fast of water to fish. need some good spots to fish.love that river but need help.

9. fireball

fireball New Member

State:
    georgia
    Sounds like you had an awesome night on the river. The gators would have me worried, do they ever get very close to the boat or do they stay a good distance away?