Altamaha questions

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Jan 26, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey guys I'm from Ohio but have a buddy that lives in GA. I need to know where the best population of flatheads is. Upper,middle, or lower. Do you find them more in woody cover along the banks or in deep holes? Since bullheads have been eaten out of the system by the flats are they still a good bait? If not what bait is King? I am thinking of coming down to fish and any info would be helpful.

2. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Well the best places are about half way. The best bait to me is bream and bullheads, I have never tried them. The Altamaha is full of deep bends and cover this is the best places to fish. Just about anywhere you want to fish you will find flats in the river.

3. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'll agree with qball.........
    I have had better luck from Beard's Bluff to the mouth of the Hughes Old River (Carter Island)......you can find these places on Google Earth if you "scan" down the Altamaha.
    This river is very swift where the current bounces off of the bank on one side heading to the other side. It creates deep eddy holes that are at times "hairy" to tie up at, or to anchor in or above.
    As a matter of fact, trying this without some Altamaha boating experience, has proven to be fatal for a few.
    But this is were I, as well as some fellow fisherman friends have found some good sized cats, (laying in wait in these deep holes).

Good Luck
    HHH

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    "Very swift", I thought all southern rivers were gentle ribbons of mud colored heaven weaving through the green countryside. Thanks for the info.

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    My favorite place is in the middle also. From about Jesup south to Everett. Lots of fish in this area. You can catch lots of small to medium size and I have caught a few in the 30's and my biggest, a 62 lb. in this area. I have used goldfish which are available at local bait stores but my favorite bait is bream and redbreast straight from the river. I have used bullheads in the past but they seem to be hit and miss for me. One night they love them, the next they bite bream better. I had also heard that bullheads were ate out of the river also, but last year I caught two while fishing for bream. They were both about 11 inches long.

6. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hello everybody i have fish the altamaha for a good many years and i have found good number of cats from around the glyn county line to around plant hatch. during the day i catch most in heavy cover and at night along sandbars. i have caught cats all species of bream and even catch a good number of blues on fresh caught eels