Altamaha Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Night Stalker, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Night Stalker

Night Stalker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    anyone know best bait to use in altamaha @ jaycees landing for channel cat or flathead? Also where are some of the better places to fish??down Stream or up?

NEED TO KNOW BEFORE SATURDAY DECEMBER 13TH 2008

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the club Cody!

Best bait for channels is cut shad.

Best bait for flatheads is live or cut bream.

3. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Cody,
    Got your message. The river will be full and I am probably thinking the water should be in the low 60's- high 50's range. Wed-Fri looks like rain so that might get the flatheads moving during this cooler weather.
    My favorite bait for flatheads and big channels are bream. I usually don't fish this late in the year but the few times I have I don't use any bream bigger than a "three finger" size. I also cut one up and use some fresh cut bait. I also take worms with me. Always catch something on worms.
    Downstream is where I go 99 percent of the time. My first stop would be the paddle boat. During this high water, there should be a nice eddy behind it. I have caught flatheads and channels to 15 pounds here and even during the early mornings. A former state record flathead came from this hole so you never know. Probably anywhere where a good current break this time of the year would be good. For channels, try the side of the river where there are lots of willow trees. This high water should be pushing them up there out of the current. Might be a few flatheads up there also.
    Good luck...