Al's biggest ever!!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by bownero, Jun 14, 2009.

1. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Buddy "AL'' has all the luck! LOL! This man has caught some big fish over the years and Saturday morning he landed his PB on the Channel Catfish!

Started fishing Friday morning at the Johnson Lake inlet and Brother-In-Law; Eric caught a nice 9.5# Channel on blood-bait. Myself, well I managed to get snagged in the rocks more than catching fish. Just my luck! HEH!:tounge_out: Anyhow, Saturday started off with a bang. We took the boat to Elwood Res. and things happened fast. I landed 7 cats, Eric caught 4 and Al started slow with only 1. I could see Al was getting bored, so I decided to make another drift where we had the best action. I decided to get close to some submerged timber with our drift and about that time Al's reel started screaming off line! I thought he got snagged up in the trees, but he said it was a fish!! Cool I thought! About 15 min later after the battle, we started seeing the fish. Holy crap what a fish. I was more excited than Al! Thank God we had a big landing net. Got the fish in the boat and weighed it. 25lbs and 40" long. "AL's" biggest!! Took some pics and Al said he was going to keep it and going to have a fish fry! Sounds good to me!! Anyhow, the rest of the fish were in the 3-7lb range. That seems to be the average weight of the fish were catching, but that 25lb'r was the hawg of the trip!!

Check out Elwood and Johnson Lake on the Nebraska fishing thread for some pics!!http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496948#post1496948
    Thanks.
    Mark..

Attached Files:

2. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    Nice fish!!! But did u really have to kill the 25lb one. I mean they aren't the best tasting when they get it that big for one. For number 2 they lay more eggs when they are that big and that would be the best situation for all of us. But it was you guys who caught it and not me. Anyways congrats again!!! and hope u all have a great fish fry. Gl fishing !:smile2:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    But did u really have to kill the 25lb one

Well, to tell ya, I would have CPR'd the fish. Al is an elderly man that I like to take fishing. He comes froms the old school ways. Keep what you catch. He likes to eat fish and whatever he catches, it's his decision on what to do with the fish! I congratulated him on his catch!! Deep inside I was a little shocked to here him say he was going to keep it, but that's his choice. I kinda felt bad, because it was a trophy, but to each his own.

I know your thoughts too. I with ya on CPR!!

At least the rest of the fish were CPR'd. I've talked to him on this subject before, but it was a spur of the moment decision for him. I didn't catch it. AL did!!

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
  5. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    Get off everyones back about CPR...when you go you do what you wish and people will follow hopefully but to jump in and say something like this is just out of line....

6. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    Brother it was a nice fish and every one who catches fish of this size catch a few and keep them not a big deal...people who catch allot of them is nice to see the CPR...Let me tell ya these fish have been here before you and I and will be long after...I am not a biologist but have done a ton of research on this subject and talked with many biologist who have also studied this subject...

It is not the common every day catch for most people...through time,education and cleaning those big fish, people come to understand one thing...small fish are easier to clean and the taste is better...

don't feel bad about keeping the fish...and you CPR fellows try to start your conversation off with a little bit of courtesy and education before starting out with crap like... (did u really have to kill the 25lb one...)

Be tasteful and educate, these distructive comments only create bad feelings...

7. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Good job to you and Al! You sound like me a bit; I always get a kick out of watching somebody have a great time pulling in a good fish! And I guarantee that fish is gonna taste great when he fries it up!

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I know there's always mixed emotions on the CPR issue. I have posted many posts on this topic. I for one CPR fish over 7-10lbs., for the reason these fish are the best breeding stock for the lakes.

Resons why I didn't convince my buddy Al to release the fish is>

1. He caught the fish and it's his decision on what to do with it.

2. The lake we were fishing, suffers from very low water conditions. The catfish and carp are doing well considering the low water conditions, but were not certain what the outcome of the lake's conditions in the future are.

3. Channel Catfish are very plentiful in this lake and in the state of Nebraska period. I would sooner see a big Channel Cat kept than a trophy walleye, muskie or hybrid stripped bass in this lake.

4. I'm not certain of the sex of the fish. I haven't talked to Al about if the fish had eggs in it when he cleaned it. Considering the fish was a darker blue color, it might have been a male, but it was very fat, so it might have been a spawning female. Not sure. I will ask Al, if the fish had eggs or not.

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice catch, congrats to Al :wink:

10. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN

Yha my grandparents are like that too. So i understand. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes i just would of like to seen that healthy fish put back thats all. Like i said i wasn't the one who caught it and i did congratulated him on his catch. I have killed some bigger fish in the past too. But once i tasted em i decided to just stick with the 1 to 2lbs hehe.

11. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    and you CPR fellows try to start your conversation off with a little bit of courtesy and education before starting out with crap like... (did u really have to kill the 25lb one...)

Be tasteful and educate, these distructive comments only create bad feelings...[/QUOTE]

Dude for one i congratulated them on their catch. And second i didn't start it off with (did u really have to kill the 25lb one) Next time you try to bash someone .Think before you do it thanks! :wink::smile2:

12. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    I can see you got my point just by changing your Avatar...

Thanks...

Dude for one i congratulated them on their catch. And second i didn't start it off with (did u really have to kill the 25lb one) Next time you try to bash someone .Think before you do it thanks! :wink::smile2:[/QUOTE]

13. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Sweet! Sounds like you guys had a blast! Congrats to your bud for the big one!

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats to you & Al On his PB and your enjoyable trip.:wink:

15. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Congrats on a nice trip and fish,
    They will make a great fish fry,,:wink:
    Puddle

16. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    congrats on a nice fish, many more will follow. keep them drags screaming!!!!

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What a channel!!! Congrats to Al on one huge channel!! Sounds like you guys had a great triip!!

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, thanks for the kind comments regarding the fish Al caught!! I just got of the phone with Al and asked him if the fish had eggs when he cleaned it. NO IT DID NOT!! I'm asuming it is a large MALE Channel Cat! Telling by the color of the fish, it was a darker blue color, showing coloration of a male Channel Cat.

That makes me feel better and it should make some of CPR guys, including myself feel better too!!:big_smile:

Thanks.
    Mark.

19. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
  20. EasternWAcatfan

EasternWAcatfan New Member

State:
    Washington
    Looks like you got into some nice fish! I bet it made your day having Al hook into that fish, hope he invites you over for dinner:big_smile: