Alrighty then

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by hailei, Nov 17, 2006.

1. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    hOW MANY TIMES HAVE U FORGOT TO PUT THE REAR PLUG IN THE BOAT BEFORE U LAUNCHED IT AND THEN FINALLY FOUND OUT U FORGOT AND END UP BILGING YOUR WAY OUT OF IT?:lol:

2. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    :roll_eyes: I did it my self twice, so dont feel bad bro. I watch one guys boat go to the bottm at the dock cuz he couldnt get to his truck on time to get it.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Once. If you have a fast boat and full throttle it, the water goes out. I did this, jumped in the water and put it in. Good thing the water was warm.

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    more than Im willing to admit :lol:
    My bilge pump gets plenty of excercise

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Y a I did it once also. Kind of gives you that scratching your head and wondering just how far your head was up your butt feeling. Later Andy

6. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have done it more then once. But I only do it when there is a crowd at the boat ramp so I can show everyone how stupid I am. Never when I'm alone at the boat ramp.

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In my excitement to get out on the water, I have left the plug out a "couple" of times. However, so far have always been able to recover w/o totally sinking my boat. :cool2:

8. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Only one time for me brother, I nearly lost my boat.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Once! Never backed a trailer down a ramp faster in my life. LOL!

10. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Only once. My friend had just bought a new Four Winds, runabout. It was a nice boat, inboard 4 cylinder. We were both new to boating. Boat sank, right by the ramp. Cracked the heads on his engine. Since then, I haven't forgotten to put the plug in.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I haven't ever personally done it, but I sure got blame once about 20 years ago. That's another story, so I guess I have to say ZERO.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. All I could do was laugh, while I was being yelled at, cussed, and knowing I was innocent. All those people and my son, didn't know what to think.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    As my buddy pulled the trailer from under my new boat, I asked myself the same question. I reached way down to find the plug as the motor was idling and I could not tell if it was in. (Long reach over the transom) I panicked and beached the boat on the concrete ramp. I scooted to the front of the boat, jumped out, waded into the water and went to the back of the boat. There I was, with my short legs and my privates all wet, and sure enough.... the plug was in. At Least I took my good shoes off.

bayrunner ray

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Fishing with my little 8 year old girl. I put the boat in and she got in and claimed her seat. I tied the boat off and went to park the truck. When I came back she was still in the seat ankle deep in water, looking kinda worried!!

DOHHH
    :confused2:

I leaped in and put the plug in. My twin bilge pumps did the rest. Luckly I have no carpet or wood in my boat, aluminium floor.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    YES, I too have done it:embarassed: But fortunately for me, my boat has scuppers, so I only put them INSIDE the boat as an added security measure.

Now here's the real stupid part:roll_eyes: I forgot to take them back out last year when we had monsoon rains for a couple of days & I also forgot to put the bilge pump on the automatic settings. If it weren't for the strong dock cleats & ropes, I certainly would have been S.O.L.:eek:oooh:

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I had mine sitting on a friends lift for a night and someone took the plug out. In fact they took several boat plugs out. Must have paddle along and collected the plugs. Good thing I have a bilge pump. I got it back on the lift when I saw water coming up the drains. I had to get in the water and use my spare plug! The water was chest deep. I was really ticked off.
    Bill

16. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Well i've only been back in a boat for goin on a year now. The very first thing i do when i get to the ramp is put the drain plug in and release the straps/motor harness on the rear of the boat. My goal is to make that a habit without even thinkin about it.
    I did leave the drain plug out of the live well and inadvertently turned the aerator on....apparently the aerator can pump water in faster than the bilge can pump it out as the live well filled up, overflowed and water started showing up in the floorboard area...yikes :eek:oooh:

cyas
    rc

17. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    ONCE for me too. That's all it took to instill in my brain that the plug is the most important part of the boat. It was like 15 degrees out that morning and we launched the boat before sunrise so it was dark and we didn't see the water rising. We also had waders on so we didn't feel the water as we would have if we had shoes on or something. The water got about ankle deep before I heard things sloshing around in the boat. That won't happen to me again. :lol:

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Who?Me?:0a19:

I ain't saying!!:0a17:

19. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I keep an old plug on the trailer winch and on the boat key ring just to remind myself. I'm considering writing up a set of "preunderways", laminating them and keeping them in the truck just to run through before I launch so I don't forget anything. On a submarine we try not to forget and leave holes open in the boat, thats why we have checklists for everything - I'm adopting the technique to my boat!!

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think most of us has made that mistake at least once. I have a second drain plug attached near by just in case. I use a check list and this helps to take care of many of my boating mistakes.