alright

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by big-muddy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i finally got my own computer with internet here at the barracks on base. im officially back:cool2:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well congrats!!! Now how about some of them Floridian fish stories, LOL. Good to read ya back Shane. Been chase'n any reds?

3. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well, not a whole lot of fish stories per say. im not all that salt water savvy. most of the fish i catch, i dont even know what they are out here. im tryin to get to one of the rivers and try for some cats

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Shane welcome back man!

How do the barracks look there?

Still 2 man rooms or is it the old style?

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well...... Learn what a Redfish is and when they run at least. You'll have a friggin blast. Fish the MOUTH of Pensacola Bay. Build you a homemade fish trap and bait it with frozen shrimp to catch Fresh Pinfish while you are fishing for the Reds.

Just weight your trap, put a float on it and set it in a few feet of water right there at the mouth. Wade out and get you some fresh bait anytime you need it.

I'd LOVE to go redfishing again it is a friggin BLAST. They fight like hell and wait until you hook into a BULL RED! HANG ON!!!!!!!

Rent a boat off the base if you need to, you'll be fine in the Bay!

We stayed in the boat sometimes but MOST of the time we beached it on the sandbar and fished the tip that is part of the mouth. I still have the trap I made so long ago.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane it is good to have you back on board. I look forward to reading of your fishing trips.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    paul- its 3 to a room and two rooms share a head so 6 share a head. there really pretty nice barracks, i cant complain. nice view of the bay from the window and the galley is said to be the best in the navy.

skip- thanks for the advice, ill try it out one of these weekends when i can get out there. its not too far from where i am.

mickey- how ya been buddy?

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Welcome back Shane! :cool2:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thanks, bud, you been catchin any?

10. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Shane, I'm gonna hafta second the sentiments expressed by Skip. The fish in my avatar is a redfish that went about 30 lbs. I caught it just down the coast from you at Grand Isle, LA. When the the big bull reds are running, it is a friggin' blast. You can fish for them like you would bass, with lures, or bottom fish for them with bait like you do for cats. Personally, I think you will have better luck with live bait fishing like we do for cats, If you want the big bulls. Only issue is getting out deep enough for the larger ones. That can be done from a pier though. That's where I caught the one in my avatar. That was one of many, many that I caught during a week of camping at Grand Isle. They fight like they are in the UFC. You start catching those reds and you won't regret familiarizing yourself with them.

Good luck to ya Shane and glad to have ya back on here on a regular basis!