Alot of runs and no flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 15, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been reading many post this year, where the poster describes getting many runs in a nite and never hooking up with a flathead, sometimes as many as 25 runs.

I have had this happen to me many times, and waht I will do is put a small hook on to catch the culprit...9 times out of ten it is gar that is doing the running.

I you have that many actual flathead runs, you aint gonna miss all of them.

I have had nights where I have had 30 gar runs, they go screming with the clicker, and generaly drop the bait when you engage the reel, or keep on running and you swing and miss.

Now tightlining with circles, gar will just pull the rod down them let off with they feel pressure.

So dont assume if you are getting alot of runs and not catching fish, that flatheads are doing the running, it is usually gar.

And when they start, it is very hard to get them to stop, unless you can change locations.

I have been flathead fishing for 30 years, and consider 5 or 6 actual flathead runs a good night, and I probably have a catch ratio of well over 90 percent on the actual flathead runs.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Biggest indicator is the speed of the run.

Nice and steady or a rocket.

I just hate when I loose my last few BIG baits :angry:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes a gar run is very fast, and it usually wont stop untill in feels line pressure.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great post jack

5. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I have had trouble with turtles this year. I caught a huge snapper that ate a large goldfish.

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Great Post! Although we dont have many gar in my area. But other culprits in my region tend to be Channel Cats and Stripers. Both will make the clicker scream and general the channel cat will drop the bait once it figures out its not big enough to swallow it, usually it'll have the skin on the tail tore up or even stripped off.... Stripers you'll generally hook up with. Musky will take the bait, but usually its a real quick pull, then nothing, when you check the bait, its usually half gone....

Like it was mentioned a few post earlier. The speed of the run is a good indicator of what it is. Here, the flathead will give its tell tale sign of a run. A slow and steady pull, usualy a pumping slow pull against the clicker, zzzzt, zzzzt, zzzzt, zzzzt, zzzzt, and so on. Rarly but it does happen, will have a flathead take a bait and take off like a hit and run. 9 times out or 10, when you hear the clicker screaming its that ole channel cat or that linesided striper......

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    my opinionif you got flathead running and you let him pull down good after engaging your reel before you set the hook your not gonna miss him unless your hook is to small he has the whole bait in his mouth when he starts running with it unless the fish is small and the bait is to big for him i always make sure i feel him good before i let him have it. i have seen guys that get a nibble and try to set the hook and then say man i shoulda got him got be patient and make sure hes on there before you jerk

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Gar! Gar! GAR!

or a channel cat that is not big enough to throat your big live bluegill.

9. Catfishin_Farm_Boy

Catfishin_Farm_Boy New Member

State:
    Sevierville, TN
    Down here I have had flatheads run the clickers all different speeds... A gar here will usually drop the bait purdy quick. 9 out of 10 dont run over about 8 seconds.. The flatheads are usually always a steady run that never seems to stop... I had some small flatheads in the past pull the clicker n stop.. then pull n stop. All the rest have never stopped.... Most of the ones are at a medium speed but I have had a few that have pulled purdy fast and a 37 I caught this year purdy much smoked the clicker lmao.. That big ole boy was pullin line off like there was no tomorrow... lol

I agree I hate losing them big ole baits to them dang ol gars...

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Depending on what river your fishing, a blue catfish will send the clicker screaming a mile a minute also. I've had blues hit when I'm just running the clicker and I swear they were going to make the reel start smoking.

11. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Add those dam turtles to the list of funny runs.

12. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know what you're saying Flathunter. I've been hearing about and seeing pictures of a bunch of 40 lb plus and even a couple over 60 from Salt Fork in the last month. YET, each trip I've been there, I've only managed channels and a few flatties under 15 lbs. Then last weekend, the guys at the bait shop tell me some guys are getting the best fish and runs during the day. a 34 lber around 11am last saturday a little before I was in there.

just seems like I can't win :angry:

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too have had this happen. Not 25 runs But i think like 8 or 10 between two guys and we would swing and miss time after time. The "fish" would run slow steady and slothful just like a flatty. When you would let the rod time load up and swing...all youd catch is air. It wasnt until about 2am that we caught our first one...wouldnt ya know it that it was a big soft shelled turtle...so of course i have to confirm my hypothesis. I put on a small circle hook and a chunk of cut sucker...wasnt 45minutes later i was reeling in another huge leatherback...forget salt fork...its not refered to as turtle fork by us...

14. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Id like to see them pics of the couple over 60! Is the ones over 60 the ones you just been hearing about? Ive heard alot of guys say this and that. Catch a fish and say its 30 or 40 and its more like 15 or 20.