Almost swamped the boat

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by 4Low, May 7, 2008.

1. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I'll tell y'all a story about almost swamping a boat over here on the lower AR river during a gathering. I won't mention any names here, but one of the
    BOC brothers is from Mis'sip and the other from Louisiana......No names, but you know who you are!!
    We were about to anchor up in some pretty stiff current. I got ready to throw the anchor up front. I asked the Captain if he was ready for me to throw it and he said "yeah." Well, from where I come from that means the boat is in neutral...but it wasn't. I pitched it out and I had all this slack in the anchor rope. I immediately knew something was not right but I didn't know what was in store for us. Within a few seconds the boat started turning and pointing downstream about the time the anchor rope became tight on one end but I still had a lot of slack in my hand. Then the motor died. The boat continued turning and moving downstream nose first. The captain was cussing about the motor dying as I was expressing my concern with the anchor line when all of a sudden the boat snapped and started moving upstream BACKWARDS!!!! I then realized what happened. When I threw out the anchor rope the motor was still engaged and the boat was holding steady in the swift current. When I tossed out the anchor, the current sailed the rope under the boat and wrapped around the engaged prop. I was feeding rope waiting on the anchor to "grab." When the rope twisted around the prop, the engine died and THEN the anchor grabbed bottom many feet downstream from the boat. As the boat started moving upstream transom first, I thought we were going down! As luck would have it we all realized what had just happened and we rushed up to the front of the boat so stabilize it so the water would not rush over the back. It came within 1-2 inches of doing so though. After we stopped moving upstream we realized how lucky we were, but we were not out of the woods as we had to get out of this sututation. The Captain grabbed his knife and tiptoed to the back of the boat, used his automatic trim to raise the motor and cut the line. Then we had to dodge all the anchored boats (about 10) downstream without power until we were finally washed onto shore. We gathered ourselves for a while and cut the line from the prop, then went back to camp. If there had only been 2 of us in the boat we would have gone down because we would not have had enough weight to stabilize the boat while moving upstream backwards. If we would not have had power trim we would not have been able to raise the motor to cut the rope. If I had let out more line, we would have gained enough speed going backwards to swamp the boat. Someone was looking out for us with all these "if's" I'm talking about. But the most imprtant thing.....NONE OF HAD OUR LIFEJACKETS ON.......... and I have always worn mine since; ALWAYS. It's scary to think we made it through this incident unscathed and it's scary to think it took an incident like this to reinforce the fact that we need our lifejackets. I'll never forget this as long as I live and I hope this story will remind all those that read this to wear their life jackets too. We never thought it would happen to us. We were fishing and having a good ole time at a BOC gathering and were were 2 inches from a tragedy. Don't be stupid like us......WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for shareing your story. i am glad the arkansas didn't make you a sad statistic. i seen some boys go down below keystone dam . they were in a boat that was to small to be on the river to start with. all three drowned.and the boat(aluminum looked like a waded up ball of scrap when the river spit it out.

3. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Thanks for the story, clearly a hand full of rules can be relearned..... I have a related question for anyone whom has experience,,,,,, has any one anchored the stern of a pontoon boat upstream in order to fish off the bow ???... be it current or wind driving the craft,,,,,,,with any adverce effect.....? :confused2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great advice, thanks for the heads up.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dealing with a anchor in "rough" current is the worst senerio!!!!You were VERY fortunate!:crazy:

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The important thing is ALWAYS CARRY A KNIFE!

7. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Yes, always have a knife. Our problem with this particular incdent though is that even if I cut the line it wouldn't have done us any good. Unbeknownst to us, the rope was around the prop which was anchored to the bottom.
    1. WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET
    2. Make sure motor is raised and in neutral when throwing anchor
    3. WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Glad to hear that everyone is ok. Just thank the good lord that it turned out allright. Anyone in my boat has to wear a lifejacket when the main motor is running and not take them off until we are sure we are anchored and stable. Be safe and good luck the next time you go out.

Tom

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good post. I think i learned a lil' bit here.:wink: I'll heed the advise, ty.

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like a very bad situation that could have gotten much worse. Good thing ya'all had your wits about you to figure out what was goin on so quick. You are all very lucky. PFD's are necessary, if you aint wearin them they aint gonna save you.

11. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man it looks like you were being guarded by by a guardian angel. I bought a auto inflatable PFD a couple of years ago. I realized if I was floundering in the water, possibly hurt the hundred dollars I spent would be well worth it.

Wooly