Almost got a bite at Bartlett Lake.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MichaelP, May 9, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I drove back into one of the coves on the north end of the lake tonight. I noticed that the water level was about 4 ft lower and alot of roots and rocks were exposed. I caught some bluegills, baited up and let fly. As Im sitting there, I noticed that the shoreline was covered in crankbaits, buzzbaits and plastic worms. Up on shore where the high water mark was, there is all kinds of line and lures snarled up. I start collecting a few at first, but after a while I have like 7 crankbaits, and about half a dozen other lures. As Im walking, I see a mesquite tree with line hanging down and I spy a shad rap stuck deep inside the tree. So now, Im getting greedy not thinking and I kneel down to reach inside to unhook the lure close to the ground in 8 inches of dead grass when all of the sudden I realize there is the biggest diamondback Ive EVER seen right underneath me. It starts to buzz and suddenly I see its head recoil back about 6 inches from where my hands are. Now that it can see me it gets even more pissed off and even louder. I say to myself, action beats reaction and I dive backwards as fast as I can in what must have been the most ungraceful movement in the history of mankind. I landed on my butt skidding backwards filling my crack full of sand. I sit there for a moment, realizing how lucky I am when curiosity gets the better of me so I get a 5 ft long piece of driftwood and push back the brush. This dang snake was a big around as a baseball bat most of its length and had a head the size of a large avocado. Ive lived in arizona 30+ years and have spent a looong time in the desert seeing all kinds of rattlesnakes, but this one was easily the biggest one Ive ever seen.
    It didnt bite me so I let the old guy go even though I usually give rattlers the big rock treatment if they are in a camping area. Didnt catch anything the rest of the night, too busy looking around me with the flashlight.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I doubt that is the type of bite that you want. Thank God you are safe. Better luck next tiime.

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    That was quite the ordeal. That is a good story to tell so the rest of us are a little more careful out there. Glad your ok, Anthony

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The good news is, the bluegills were biting. I nominate Berkeley Gulp worms as the best bluegill bait Ive ever used. You can catch like 10 of them and the bait doesnt come off the hook. I haven caught bluegills like that in a looong time.:smile2:

5. mattm

mattm New Member

State:
    Arizona
    "It didnt bite me so I let the old guy go even though I usually give rattlers the big rock treatment if they are in a camping area."

I laughed.

Almost got bit myself bout a month ago, was walking along the shore and saw a nice spot to cast from in a clearing around some brush, so I got ready to step out into it and noticed a rattlesnake laying there. I thought it was dead so I poked it with my pole and it didn't move.
    Then I thought I better give it another poke and then it kinda just turned its head and looked at me like, "you must be crazy boy"
    Guess it was cold and sunning itself. needless to say I got the hell out of there. =)

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    remember one 4th of july weekend on lake meade nv. took my dads boat and my dog out for weekend. pulled up to island to spend the night. seen a rattler coiled and laying in the sun, but not moving. poked it several times with pole and nothing. decided it was dead. jumped off front of boat to tie up. soon as i hit the ground, it let loose with a rattle. i cleared the window of the boat jumping backwards into boat. (was a walk through window too) needless to say, snake got that cove that day.
    gary

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    To bad you did not get any cats, but good thing you did not get bit...

Shore fishing can be dangerous this time of year.. Glad to hear you are okay.

~A