almost done

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kscathunter, Aug 24, 2009.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    pretty mutch done with my first re wrap rod needs finish and maybe a little packing but im tired of messing with it didnt really care for the black whipping on the diamonds after i was done but too late now.

Attached Files:

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    one more bad pic of the tip. im not totally thrilled but its pretty good, the old man would be tickled though.

Attached Files:

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Brandon, you have a lot more patience than I have and it's a much better job than I could have done. Stay safe and just wait until you start sticking pigs with it--you'll like it more every time:wink:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks good to me. Keep up the good work

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I think you did a great job on the rod. Awesome!

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
  7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Brandon ,do i understand you rite ,that is your 1st time rapping a rod ,congrads looks great to me :cool2:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats an awesome job, congrats bro, very nice

9. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Nice...lots of work...I like the colors!

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Looking good there Brandon. I don't have the eyes to do that work but yours look very nice.

11. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It looks great! I wish I had the patience to do it. Great job.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i did a couple pratice wraps on another rod that i posted, "first try at a diamond wrap" and "first try all by hand" were i was learning how its done. but yea this is the first complete re wrap (removed all thredwork), and re wraped the eyes and decrative but wrap, that ive done. i riged up a rod turner from a drill and dot er done i guess i can post a pic of that :embarassed:. I plan on doing a completely new rod this winter with all new stuff :big_smile: cant wait.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    LOL heres my rod turning device redneck style:wink:

Attached Files:

14. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    looking like great rod keep up

15. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Good job Brandon; That's how I srtarted, with all redneck tools! LOL!!!:smile2:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thats a real good job on the diamonds, and you'll be doing alot more of them for sure.( the more you do, the more you want to do:smile2:)

Heck I built my first on 2 cardboard box's with v's cut out of the top to rest the rod in. LOL.I like that wrapper setup Bro,,Thats about as cool as it can get.Again great job and keep up the good work.:wink:

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well i put some cp on it today and i learned that im gonna have to be alot quicker when i put the finish on in the mourning ... if im not too tired to do it.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well kenny the first time with the finish wasnt so fun it wasnt too bad till i broke out the hair dryer to try your heat to pop bubles method and well it started ok poped a couple looked like nuthing to it then it happened, the finish got runny and more bubbles showed up:crazy: and while i was watching the but wrap playing with bubbles the finish on the guides became a little uneven so i quit messing with it and just rotated it to try to even it all out:crazy: i guess i just went to thick for my first coat:confused2: i dont know anyway its got a couple bubbles and is gonna need another coat:confused2::crazy:

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    If more bubbles showed up, It more than likely got too hot, or moving the finish around to much with the wrong type of,or dry brush(make sure the air is out of the brush before using).

Just warming it up will get it thinned quick. Heres what I do.

Apply enough finish, spinning slowly around with brush lightly touching the finish to gat a even coat,,then with lenghtwise strokes level it out..Then apply a little heat.I use a bic lighter. I can control the heat by moveing it quickly back and forth under the blank a couple times until it warms and stop; let spin and look for any bubbles level and clean up edge lines with brush, relevel lenghtwise and double check again,,You can work with the flex coat for 5-10min's by appling the heat a little at a time. If you notice the flexcoat getting stiff in the pan stop. Its getting close, so finish up the guides as quick as you can and stop messing with it. Let it finish drying and go with the next coat.

Also try doing half a rod at a time:wink:

20. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Here's what I do with Flexcoat SCS finish:
    1. Mix a 1/2oz. and stir until well mixed.
    2. With a syringe load 1.5 cc's of Acetone.
    3. Mix this into the Flexcoat until it's clear.
    4. Posistion rod with guides @ 90 degrees on top.
    5. Apply to guide feet/tunnel first on all guides to displace air.
    6. Rotate rod in dryer and apply to wraps in a thin coat.
    7. Sweep torch across wraps to pop any bubbles / rotate until set.
    8. Apply second coat full strength, you can top coat over green seal coat or the next day whatever works for you.
    *Note; Acetone is an evaporative thinner/solvent and disapates out of the epoxy as it cures leaving a thin coating. Extra effort but recomended by Flexcoat for best results. But you can run it over CP as well.:wink: