Almost 2 years here, and this one has me whipped!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Rollo, I am stumped on something here!,

say there is a fifty+ pound beaver in one of your favorite log jams, and have not have any luck there since you first seen the thing. Can a beaver of that size scare the flathead away from a giant jam........I know little beavers wont scare large flatties but this beaver is massive, what do you think?[/quote] Dude, You have me there! That is a question I can't even give an opinion on! WOW! This would make for a good thread bro! rollo

This was a pm I recieved earlier by a member, and this is a new one for me! We don't have many beaver huts where I fish, and the beaver that are there seem to come and go as they please, never considered this even when seeing them on the water!.... I have no answer for this question, can someone else help? rollo

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive seen some scary beavers :wink: so I would say yes they could scare them away:smile2:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    only you gary...only you! LMAO!:smile2::roll_eyes: rollo

like I said earlier, the beaver seem to come and go as they please! lol

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had beavers scare the crap out of me before, BIG ONES!:wink:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you are suppose to turn the tape off when you go to bed Jack. I hear, its easier on the sleeping!:roll_eyes: rollo

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    On a serious side, aren't beavers primarily vegatarians? I never have heard of them catching/eating fish. Perhaps some of the trappers on the board knows this answer. LOL

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think the beaver would endanger the fish in any way, but it may bother it enough coming and going into the log jam, and chewing and such, that the flats would get aggravated and leave.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im in the lines of this also. And Jack's post.. Beavers don't seem to influence the fishing for me much either. Now I think about it, I fish a private strip pit all winter off a beaver hut.. This beaver is one of the 50 plus pound class. I always catch crappies and bass during the winter here, and would think if beaver were territorial, then beaver huts wouldn't be good fishing.... But they are usually awesome! rollo

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I would think it may some what scare them but also on the other hand IMHO do not believe the big flat is gonna up an leave because of it.

10. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads will not leave a hole because of a beaver. For one, beavers are vegetarian. This causes even better flathead habitat. Two, and I might be in the minority on this one, beavers are natural to most all waters, at least in Ohio. A lot of people think a beaver smacking there tail is a bad thing and they won't get a bite the rest of the night. Not that it is a good thing, but, that is totally false in my opinion. I think a beaver smacks his tail when no one esle is around more than people think. I have caught plenty of big and small flats soon after a tail splash. Beavers have adapted to have a tail to scare off predators, not just humans. They have adapted that tail after thousands of years. It's nothing new to flatheads.

11. Scatter Shad

Scatter Shad New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would think that it is a very good pos. that a beaver that size would have some effect on the flats by that jam. My opinion here, but i think that a beaver that size would expand that specific log jam. Maybe building it up for the winter and making it larger just to accom. for the beavers size. The beaver could also be changing the cover around the log jam that would probably make the flats leave that area. Thats only my opinion but I think it could be possible. But if the beave leaves It could make that spot even better with more cover in a larger area maybe attracting more flats.

12. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont know about the flat heads but i love beaver:big_smile:

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never heard an expert speak on it but, I have noticed that the fish seem to "turn off" when a beaver is near where I am fishing.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I dont know about the flathead thing but I had one pop up out of the water and come up on me with not a care in the world I fell out of my chair into the mud it scared the crap out of me. I moved the chair back 10 feet from the water. Just imagine your sittin there lookin at the water and two foot in front of you a big a$@ beever pops out.:crazy:

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i had one smack the water with his tail when i was asleep one night,guess i was making noise or something and scared him.the water almost ran down the leg :eek:oooh:

if it is shallow enough,i would say the beaver could have an effect on the fish coming and going out of the hut.it might be unintentionally bothereing the fish,moving them away from the hut.

have someone trap him :big_smile:

16. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    SHUCKS GUYS ,EVEN A LITTLE FLATHEAD COULD EAT A FIFTY POUND BEAVER.

17. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    In my personal experience, I have not actually caught fish when there has been a beaver in the area...

The beaver maybe a vegetarian, but my thought is that their presence in the area and tail slaps scare baitfish out of the area, thus causing them to move... leading to big flatheads to move to eat...

Just a thought, I could be completely wrong....

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    No Problem ... if you will direct me to where this beaver is after November 10, I will be happy to trap it and others for you .... then you won't have to worry about whether it will scare the flatheads ...... If it is any consolation .... beavers are vegetarian in large so don't worry about it eating your flatheads .... Garry-

19. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Thanks for the voice of reason Garry. LOL for the posts in this thread, vegetarians but disruptive. MHO.

20. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Common sense will give you the answer to this one, If you were sleeping and a fifty lb. Beaver jump on top, of your head what would you do. In some of you guys case, imagine, a 200lb. you you would leave, as simple as that. :smile2:I try to stay away from beaver dens,when fishing for cats, houses make good crappie cover thou.
    Jim