allisons landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by copster, May 19, 2009.

1. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello all. i am going for a boat ride with the wife on saturday 5-23-09. i was wondering if anyone knew this area and maybe tell me if i would be able to catch cats up river? i fish up from the bluff but there is a poker run up there this saturday and dont want to get in their way. i have live eel, live or dead bream, night crawlers and some dead meat. so please help with the catch of the day. i see a lot of lakes off the river but the river will be about 8.5 feet and dont know if i will be able to get in them. please help with some good ares and bait choises in the area. thank you so much.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I always go DOWNSTREAM from Allisons. There's some GOOD twisties down below Dunham's Bluff, five or six+ miles down river from Allisons. Fish upstream from structure on the ends of the outside curves of the river. FRESH bream heads, live bream, live and fresh cut eels, fresh cut shad, etc., and you're all set! Check out Google Earth for the river in that area, and you can see all the curves I am referring to. I will be down that way myself for at least two days next week. I seem to have my best luck this time of year in 14/15 feet of water, on the dropoffs. BTW: Better rig your outfits with heavy braided line (80/100# Power Pro) and a heavy fluorocarbon 60# leader. The big flatties down there will take you right into the thickest structure, and with the heavy rigs you can horse them around a bit better than with monofilament. IF you use monofilament, you WILL LOSE MANY FISH!! Good luck and report back.

Bill in SC

3. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey thanks alot... i will use that advice and see what happens. i am using a different boat i am testing out for the first time so i may go up river at first just in case it quits. we have all been there. but when i test it i will be running down river like you said. hope to see you out there. i will be in a bass tracker with the wife if you see me.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    William Bill gave some right on advice. The flatheads have been biting pretty steady lately on just about any fresh cut bait and live bait. Make sure to fish into the structure and the rods will go down. Upstream will be good but down stream would be better. There are 3 lakes down stream about 3-4 miles that have some killer bream fishing in them also. I will be fishing that rea tommorow so I will try and post a report tommorow evening.