Alligators in White River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by drpepper, Jul 30, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Man, I wish people would be a little more cautious about what they do with their pets they don't want anymore. My guard is always so low when I'm fishing around here...I would be toast if an angry gator just so happened to see me sitting on the bank of the White. I've always felt so comfortable fishing in central indy...we have nothing poisonous or anything you could consider a "man eater".

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gives new meaning to that cracklin stick behind ya at night, or that big splash by the bank huh? LOL
    How'd ya like to live in Florida or some place where gators are everywhere...:eek:oooh:

4. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats definitly a scary thought. wasn't it last year someone claimed to have seen 2 alligators by the dam just south of washington st. still makes me look twice when close to the water especialy when i'm going to wash of my hands or grab a fish

5. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your chances of being bitten by a poisonous insect are much greater than a snake in Indiana. Brown Recluse spider in particular. When I was kid copper heads were common in central Indiana. There are still 4 poisonous snakes rarely found in Indiana.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is all very interesting, I wonder how the aligators do during the winter?

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were 'gators in the White river in the Indy metro area. There are a lot of stray dogs that live on the shoreline that would be easy pickings and if the gators can find a way to get back up into the sewer outlets they could easily get through the winter. Sounds like the stuff horror movies are made of...W

8. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have had pretty mild winters the past few years...........all it would take is to find a few warm spots to survive a month or 2 and I'm guessing they could make it through a winter.....

Remember............the geese make it through......they weren't suppose to be able to survive our winters either......

9. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have bad news for all of you. I am from Florida my family is from there and louisiana and gators are not that bad we used to catch them all the time. The false hope that people have about gators not traveling from there to here is wrong a gator can travel all the way here and have been known to travel great distances. Not to mention the misbelief that they can not live up here in winter is a myth as well. The river is always moving so the water ussaully does not freeze. They well slow down during winter but can still survive and I have not even mentioned anything about the man made heats in the river like power plants that keep the waters abnormally warm. Not to mention they did survive the ice age. A gator can go two even three years without eating. During cold spells they well make holes and buro into the river bottom making a nest to stay warm untill the winter is over.

Here is quote from http://www.crocsite.com/crocsite-articles/alligator-attacks.htm

Alligators can even survive freezing conditions. In freezing rivers, they will rise above the surface, to breathe through the ice as it forms. In extreme cases, they get frozen into the surface of the pond for several days and then swim free when the ice melts.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I agree!

The rare Chinese alligators in Northern China hibernate in dens and burrows just like the North American bears.

The survived the Ice Age. ADAPTATION is the key word here.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im with loyd,

we have gators all over the place. and i for one have busted ice to go shoot ducks on more than 1 occasion.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow man... I forgot the fact that they DID survive the ice age!!! :confused2:
    The warm water discharges and sewers ect... that stuff is interesting!!! PLUS where are all these people getting these gators from - It's illegal isn't it? maybe I'll put one or two in my lake to get rid of all them pesky Canadian geese:big_smile: lol!!

13. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I say a 22 will work on them ducks and what you don't recover will make noce chum for the kitties.

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with BailBonds, your more likely to get bit by a poisonous insect than poisonous snake in central indy. I've had more than enough people point out Northern Banded Water Snakes to me and swear up and down they are water macosains (spelling?). We receive the Indiana Herpatologoical Society newsletter here at the house and a while back they had an article on Cottonmouths (aka water macosains) in Indiana...they are very rare and only found in remote regions of Southern Indiana. Although I've read about coppoerheads still appearing in Shelby county and out towards the Brookville/Connersville area.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found about an 8" long "copper bellied water snake" on my property... I had no clue what kind of snake it was when I saw it, I had to look it up, turned out to be an endangered snake... I injured it with a bushhog and it died:sad2: It shouldnt have even been anywhere near my neck of the woods here according to all I read on it... top that off with it being a rare endangered species.... a rattler would've been more likely to encounter.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Okay, at the risk of seeming to have a story for everything, My youngest son just got bit by one of those spiders... thats what the Doc thinks anyway.
    He still hasnt finished his antibiotics yet, his leg swelled up fom his ankle almost to his knee before he showed it to me:crazy:
    I think I've been bit by them before, but it didnt effect me anything like that!

Arent they related to the black widow spider? I believe they are!

17. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Don't forget your sidearm bro's, I know I never forget mine!

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  19. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wish one of those gators would grab my neighbors constantly yappy little mutt. I'd throw in a chicken to boot.

20. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hahaha... I fish that dam alot... Never seen a gator.. but have caught some crazy looking snapping turtles