Alligators in memphis!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RIP, Apr 7, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    On the news today I saw were people have reported seeing alligators in a place called Mckeller lake near down town. Fish and wildlife confirmed this and said they have migrated down the mississippi from the gulf coast. They said if you don't bother them they won't bother you! This is a park where kids play and people fish. I guess they won't do anything until someone gets hurt or killed.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    knowing Memphis, they won't, and maybe even not then

3. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Saw that on the news myself, had a little double take. Would be a little more carefull if at riverside.

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    The alligators are the least of your worries at McKellar! I try not to even get in the water down there. Last couple of outings there has been condoms floating around the ramp. Not to mention the its the industrial part of mempho so its got a nocious smell. Matter of fact last trip there catfish along with bullhead carp and a few other fish was swimming right on top of the water everywhere.......... I think you'd have better chances with those alligators than taking a detour one street over on mcelmore......... I'd sure like to see one of them buggers myself......

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I don't fish there haven't been there in years and then it wasn't to fish. They may have put them there on purpose to keep the crowd that hangs out there to stop. LOL

6. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I am also from Memphis. I can tell you that those gators wont stand a chance against the armed homeys that hang around there.
    I`ve been gone from there 10 yrs now after 42 years and I believe I barely got out alive. I will leave it at that.
    I have seen alligators in the loosahatchie bottoms between Memphis and Millington before I left though.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Hey Dennis you use to fish them hatchie bottoms?

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    gators ain't gonna mess with ya.......lol

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i have been swimming with them fishing by them and have even caught a couple oh them on top water lures and am stiil un bitten..lol

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's wild stuff...couple years back somebody found a 5ft gator here in Indianapolis that somebody had been keeping as a pet and got sick of it so they let it go in the river. Also that same year somebody caught 2 pirhanas out of Fall Creek. I say if you don't think you can handle the pet, don't get it.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used to live just north of St. Petersburg, Florida, and I can definitely tell you that alligators view anything small enough to eat at nothing but food. It's almost mandatory there that every trailer park have at least one small lake. Sooner or later, one or more alligators take up residence in the lake, and pets start getting eaten. Then they're trapped and removed to a remote location. I can't see that an alligator would view a small child as being any different than it would a dog.

12. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    My boss(before I retired) had to get the state fo Miss. to trap an 8ft gator in his pond just 2 miles south of Sardis Lake.He has about 35 horses so he couldn't take the chance of the gator killing a young colt.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Come on guy's,now do you really think gators eat everything they see on the banks? Gators won't bother you unless your near the nest. If gators bother you,you may not want to plan any fishing trips to Fl.LOL I've been around them all my life and been known to catch them by hand,I still have 2 arms & 10 fingers.:)

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yea but it seems you lost your marbles! LOL I know they won't bother you, I just found it strange that they have made it to memphis.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe the toothy critters are Elvis fans. Seriously I hope that they dont harm anyone. I can remember when I was in Florida they warned us about them. Even had em walking down the sidewalks during daylight. I give em a wide birth.

16. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    here in florida there the state bird,,,,,,swamp chicken...yummmm

17. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I've seen gators come out of the water after dogs being walked on leashes in both Mississippi and Florida. Yes they consider everything to be food. They are a predator and a highly efficient one at that.One killed and ate a small child near Daytona a few years ago. I've seen one stalk a fisherman wading in E. Lake Toho near St. Cloud.

Guys ..there's a reason you don't see stray dogs and cats in gator country. As with any other dangerous animal, you have to be vigilant around them. I.ve lived in snake country for over 50 years and never been bitten. But I've missed some great opportunities because I was watching for them.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just watched a program on TV about a 12' gator grabbing a woman working in her yard 15' away from the water. She died from infection.

19. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Yea Rusty, I have drug a few cats out of them slews.
    But the thing I remember most is carp and snake hunting with a 44 magnum. I have some pictures I need to post.
    We would hike into the bottoms(walking right up the loosahatchie river) and walk into a slew. We would stir up the water by walking around and around in it. This would make it impossible for the snakes and carp to breathe. When they came to the top to get air, we would pop em. I can`t believe I ever did something so stupid. I guess when you`re young, you do some stupid things.

20. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yea I fish the hatchie up around brownsville now. I use to fish it in and around arlington, but they dredged it about 25 years ago and messed it all up.