Alligator Turtle

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Shrimp Man, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Guy's I have a bit of a problem, We have about a two acre pond, mostly stocked with bream, The problem is we seem to have an over abundance of alligator turtles, I'm worried they are taking over the pond. I live in a subdivision so I can't shoot them, I know I can trap them but I can't find in DNR's web site any law about the removal and disposal of them. If anyone knows any information on this PLEASE HELP

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Shrimp Man what you need is about a 12' alligator for 1 summer and your turtle problem will be eliminated. But doesnt sound like that would be a good option so I would reccomened trapping them and moving them to the gators.LOL We trapped about 150 turtles out of a buddy of mines pond and loaded them into the back of the truck and went to the river and backed down the ramp opened the tailgate and problem solved. The DNR told us there were no regs for trapping and relocating the turtles. You might want to contact your local officer and tell him what u are wanting to do. Good luck.

3. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Eddie

If you mean Alligator Snapping Turtle, they are protected and indangered her in OK.
    I would suggest calling your Fish and Game Dept. they may come get them, there are also some very simple trap plans on line for free I made one out of a Milk Crate and a peice of 1by 6 inch board in a few minutes and works great.

I don't mean to be a jerk or insult you in anyway but I don't understand why people go out and shoot something that they are not going to eat or use in some way.I do understand getting rid of pests.
    I have a small pond and have two large snappers one is about 27 inches across the back and about 47 years old and put in the pond by the fellow who dug the pond in 1961 the other is a little smaller. I put my bream trap in yesterday for a hour and a half and had 58 bream in it "going fishing in morning" anyway they don't seem to be hurting the population much that I can see.

Good Luck

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well they are abundant and plentiful in North Carolina so If Oklahoma needs some they can come on over a get a few hundred dozen if they like. :cool2:

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well, a BB gun works wonders on a turtle population.:lol:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have to agree that shooting them is a bad idea. I'm also a bit skeptical that you are dealing with Alligator snapping turtles, especially if your pond is overrun with them. I've always thought that alligator snappers were pretty uncommon and solitary. Could they be Common Snapping turtles or ever some other turtle?

There's a tiny little drainage pond here in town behind a shopping center. It's about 20 feet wide at most and maybe 100 feet long. This tiny "pond" has probably got 30 or 40 good sized turtles in it. They are some sort of yellowbelly or chicken turtle or something. I can't figure out how they get enough to eat, EXCEPT that the pond is also home to a bunch of Muscovy ducks and the neighboring appartment residents feed the ducks. I guess the turtles eat ducklings and duck food (bread, etc.).

Anyway, the best idea is to call DNR Law enforcement. They will give you a number for your local officer, or have him/her call you. You can ask them about it and see what's legal. I like the idea of trapping them and then driving them to the nearest river or lake.

7. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    best bet is call dnr to keep from having legal problems. good luck

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    They will eat little ducks and geese when they hatch.

9. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Guy's
    Your 100% right about the ducks, We have about 15 Peaking Ducks, all adults, sometimes they come in injured. Back a few years ago we had a couple of 10ft. Gators, They really keep the turtle population down, Since the gators were removed, well I wish it were only 40 or 50 like the other pond JAinSC was talking about, I'm sure there are several hundred. Anyway I'll call DNR"S Dennis center, I'm pretty sure they are the dept.that handles small ponds.

Mark, These turtles laugh at my BB's.

10. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Guy's, I spoke with DNR out of Columbia today about our turtle problem, I was told as of now there is no law on the books for removing the turtles, Then he told me that the turtles will not hurt the pond in any way (No Matter The Population).

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They are probably right it wont hurt the fish population but it sure does make it difficult to fish for bream with turtles that keep eating the bait and breaking the line. Good luck Shrimpman