Alligator Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatCatcher, Jun 24, 2009.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I have only caught the common snapping turtle out off the Kaw.I have a pet snapper I had for 8 months and wants to get him a companion.My question is are there any Alligator snappers in the Kaw?If not where are they in Kansas?

2. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    ive only ever caught the commen snapper out of the kansas and tuttle creek. so thats a good question:wink:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Alligator Snappers are listed as a species in need of conservation in Kansas. It is not wise to catch one and put it in a tank.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Same in Oklahoma.

5. KansasKatCatcher

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Thanks you guys.I didn't know that.I still would like to see one is person.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Check your wildlife dept wed site. They may have a breeding program that you can visit. I know Okla. has one or did have.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught several alligator snappers over the years. I may have helped thin the population some! If you do happen to run across one watch out they are so mean SOBs! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i hate to say it, but we were working next to a lake the other day and i ran over one by accident with a articulated truck. I hopped in it to fuel it and never saw that one had crawled under the passengerside 3rd tire. it was a big ol' boy.

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    So Geoff what kind of rig are you using when you target them Big boy's???:tounge_out::smile2:

10. KansasKatCatcher

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Yell and where did you catch them.My turtle isn't aggressive at all.I seen video's on youtube of some crazy alligator ones.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike I have caught them at Gardner Lake before. Throw some chicken livers and you'll get one eventually. Good luck getting the hook out though. :smile2:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught them at Olathe Lake, Gardner Lake and water works park in Olathe. I gave several of them away to people to make turtle soup out of. I've never caught one in the rivers though. Usually too busy fighting gar, regular snappers and softshell turtles off! LOL

14. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Mike you better watch him. He's setting you up for the big bite.LOL

15. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    i have no desire to catch any types of turtles. Thats one thing i let whoever im fishing take care of..my gpa would just shoot their heads off with a pistol:sad2::embarassed:, i dont think ive caught one with jeff yet, to see what he would do, but thats just fine with me. I would rather them stay as far away from me as possible:smile2:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    http://www.itsnature.org/ground/reptiles-land/alligator-snapping-turtle/

As adults, the Alligator snapper has no real natural predator aside from human beings, who often take them for the meat (to make turtle soup) and the shell for adornments. They are also sold at times to exotic animal collectors.

They are stable but because of unregulated harvesting and sales of the Alligator snapper, and habitat loss due to humans encroachment on their turf, they are protected in most states, and in nearly all areas where they live or range.

Seems once they make the protected list, we, as sportsmen, should do out part to insure their survival. It never hurts to cut the hook off the line...fifty cents compared to the life of the turtle.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have never seen a true alligator turtle in kansas just tons of commons around here taste good though from my south days