Alligator Range in SC

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Indigo Flats, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    This gator was caught on a top water plug in pond in the Mt. Pisgah community of Kershaw county. The pond drains into Buffalo creek/swamp.

Are gators migrating farther up state?

I can't upload the picture but the gator was 30 inches long and the game warden came and got it to relocate to another area.

2. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Check these pics. These went around a couple of years ago. Supposedly from Lake Murray. Maybe you saw them already. Read that they are real, but are actually from a wildlife refuge in south Georgia. I've seen gators as far inland as Lake Waccamaw near Whiteville, NC. Saw a bigun too.

Attached Files:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You are probably at the most nothern range of them. Every once in a while we get a call up around Cheraw area, But that is very rare. Have never got one from wateree area but did recently have to get one out of Lake Prestwood in Hartsville which was a 1st. Smaller gators tend to get pushed out. He probably came out of the swamp to find some deeper water cause of the heat. Alligators cannot take this extreme heat very well it will cook them if they cant get down in some cooler water.

4. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I think I have been able to attach the photo. I had to reduce the size.

Attached Files:

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Several years ago someone caught a 5 footer out of broad river near lockhart SC

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Personally, I think with the legal protection they enjoy they are moving toward the upstate.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They are rarely found above the fall line but they are a few here and there. Usually they are found in ponds where someone has released them around here and not actually ventured up this far. I haven't seen any this far up but I know people have seen a few. A few years back one was found in Lake Bowen in Spartanburg County, it was small and probably released by someone around the lake.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Blame it all on global warming. :wink: As the years go by and the climate warms, they'll be chasing fish in the mountains one day. If there's any fish left to chase..... Y'all better get ready. :big_smile:

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i hope they fill the waters of greenwood, hartwell, and monticello...maybe that will keep the jet ski's and other recreational crap off the water...at least maybe we can all start a rumor that they are in our favorite lakes...why i just seen one the other day at greenwood laying on the bank chewing on a wake board...must have been a 40 footer:roll_eyes:...pass it on.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Craig I wish it worked that way. There are goobs and goobs of them in santee and those people see them all the time and keep on. Oh well. Travis were there is one that size mst likely a bigger one hatched him out last year and an even bigger one breed her so she could lay the eggs to hatch that little baby.LOL Look out there on the prowell. They're every where, they're every where!

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think a biology student did a study on the caimans and they had almost a 99% mortallity rate in our winter climate, But I could be wrong that was a long time ago. We never have ever had to get one but Iguannas on the other hand have gone to get alot of those. People usually call from a neighborhood and say they saw an alligator go under there house.LOL Those are hard things to catch.

12. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'll have to dig up the articles . But in two bodies of water here in Union (John D Long lake & Little Browns Creek Swamp) have reported gators over the last 10 years or so. Not to mention the one in the Broad River in Lockhart. Both John D Long & Browns Creek Swamp are just a few miles from Lockhart. No reports of any over six foot yet that I know of.

13. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    alligators are more tolerant of cold weather than some people think......they are found in nc all the way up to almost virginia......they used to be in se va...............anywhere east of i-95 in nc is gator range and sometimes they are found further inland.......2 0r 3 were in the neuse river in raleigh a few years ago............most ones father inland than raleigh are/were released..........but , all that said you are not likely to see a gator in nc unless you are real close to brackish water.....mack