Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother Matt and I were jugging while our dad bream fished on the bank. We took him up the lake and dropped him off on the bank and started putting them out. As the day went on we had a couple of channel cats bitten off right behind the head and knew there was an alligator around.

Toward the end of the day I looked down the lake and saw a noodle easing across the middle of the lake. On second look it seemed like it was following an alligator.
:(

Matt asked, "What are we gonna do?" My dad heard us from the bank and said, "You boys leave that gator alone."

When we started picking up we got all but one- and it was at the far end of the lake with only a couple of inched sticking out of the water. I told Matt to ease me up to it.

He said, "It's that gator."
I said, "I know. Ease up on it."
"Why!?"
"Just do it."

I wasn't successful in getting him to boat the 40 lb snapping turtle earlier. He pulled up the noodle and that thing came out of the water right in his face and said, "Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah......" and snapped at his face. Really scared the crap out of him. I didn't really want it in the boat but it was fun trying to make him do it.

"I can't get it in!"
"Grab it by the tail!"
"What!?"
"GRAB IT BY THE TAIL AND SWING IT IN THE TUB!"
"@#$%!"

You should have seen his face when I grabbed the noodle and tried to swing that big snapper in! The hook pulled like I knew it would but he was ready to walk to the bank. LOL.

Anyway, it took some convincing but I finally got him to bump me up there with the trolling motor. I grabbed the noodle and slowly started bringing it up. I didn't move it far before it took off, towing the 14ft aluminum boat like it was nothing. I held it as long as I could until it doubled back under the boat.

The noodle popped back up behind us and I told Matt to back up and grab it. He started arguing so I grabbed a paddle and backed the boat up until it was right by him.

"Grab it!"
"Why!?"
"Just do it."

He grabbed it and we took off backwards. It's a really cool feeling to have an 8 foot alligator on a 2 foot string. He had a big grin on his face. It dove and snatched the noodle out of his hand.

It stayed under for a while but when it came back up I headed toward it. Matt looked up the lake and said, "You know, Dad told us not to fool with that gator. We better leave it alone." Now, I'm 42 and he's 32 and we're both well over 6 feet and 200 lbs but we were raised right and usually listen to our folks. Him a lot more than me.

I told him, "Can you imagine the look on his face when we go by him wide open being towed by this alligator?"

His grin told me he was on board. I grabbed it again and away we went. That sucker was really moving. Unfortunately it dove and ripped loose before we got down to where Dad was fishing but it was fun just the same.

That's one we'll both tell our grandkids.

· Registered
1,233 Posts
I have never caught one on a noodle but I have had gators to get my fish plenty
of times. If that cat hangs the noodle in a brushtop hes history in gator territory.
I snagged a gator with a treble hook while fishing one day. I know what you are
talking about, you don't need someone to help you hold him you need someone
to help you turn him loose.LOL

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody else ever hook a gator while jug fishing?

In this same lake my dad and I hooked a snapper that went every bit of 100 pounds. He thought I was trying to get it in the boat and said, "Boy, if you put that thing in here I'm walkin' to the hill!"

I was just trying to get it out of the water to see just how big it was. It's head was 8 inches wide. I bowed up and could only get half of it out of the water. It was BIG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.