ALLIGATOR GAR

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by CATCHARMER, Apr 27, 2009.

1. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ANY STILL IN GA AND WHAT BODY OF WATER THEY ARE IN?

2. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Yes. Allatoona, Lanier, Coosa. It's actually pretty hard to get away from them sometimes. We moved here about 11 years ago and the first time I saw a gar surface I almost pooped. I started asking around and was quickly told about the unraveled nylon rope lure. I was really skeptical about that one. It sounded like one of those "snipe hunt" things the Georgia boys would like to pull on damn Yankee (Yeah, I'm stayin'). Anyway, I checked it out on the internet and, sure enough, the rope lures were real. I carry a whole box of the things now. Sometimes only the gar are biting.

3. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    ARE THE GAR YOU SPEAK OF A ALLIGATOR OR THE LONG NOSE

4. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    jack we will have to make a fishing trip together soon. maybe we can go gar hunting...I have yet to catch one since living on allatoona.

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Here you go Richard:

AGar_Range_Map.jpg

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not from Georgia.....but just wanted to add to the conversation by saying that I once witnessed a very large Alligator Gar approx. length was about 8 or 9' long and as big around as a 5 gallon bucket. I saw this fish lurking in a big log jam on Old Hickory lake in 1985. With one or two whips of its tail it was gone out of sight. It is to date the largest fish I have ever seen in the wild.:eek:oooh:

7. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Hey, brad
    Yes we can. I have a couple of spots where they like to porpoise. We need some HOT weather, though.

8. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, I can tell you now the map posted is either wrong or I'm reaading it wrong as it does not show alligator gar as far North as I know they exist - or at least they did! Allow me to elaborate: My father caught an alligator gar in the late thirties that was 5' 11" long, don't know thast it was ever weighed as this was a long time before I was even born. This fish was caught from the Ohio River just above Grand Chain, IL.

I've heard him tell the story many times. He said the fish was larger in diameter than a five gallon bucket but not as big as a 30 gal lube drum, and that he had it on for a long long time before being able to manuver it around to land by slipping a rope around its tail. He was fishing near an area where they cooked mussels for the shells and the big gar bit while he was fishing for catfish. He caught it on a strip bait cut from a blue buffalo, saying he could not keep the mussel meat on the hook but used it for chum. I would really like to have seen the fish, and I would like to know what they did with it but being as how we had a good dash of Cajun [!] I would bet someone somehow ate all or part of it!

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey Ted, the map shows that they were historically found in the range that your father caught the gar. Pretty amazing!

10. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I stopped before I was finished with my first post! I meant to say I had never seen an alligator gar in Georgia, only white and spotted gar. I'm not saying they are not here, just that I've never seen one. A friend just sent me some photos with the caption, "Why People Disappear from Lakes in Oklahoma" Well, these didn't come from Oklahoma but I do have the stor of where and how they were caught. thought you might like this one!

A September 2005 Dallas Morning News article also confirms the catch:
    "Using archery tackle that would suit Luke Skywalker, two Missouri archers won a tag-team version of gar wars at Sam Rayburn Lake, bagging a gigantic alligator gar that weighed 244 ½ pounds. It is the pending Bowfishing Association of America world record. The giant fish is not, however, the largest of its species taken with bow and arrow in Texas. "
    Although alligator gar are quite fearsome in appearance, there is no evidence to support the claim that they have ever fatally attacked humans. A Florida Museum of Natural History write-up about alligator gar notes:
    "Due to its large size and sharp teeth, the alligator gar is capable of delivering a serious bite wound to fisherman or swimmers. However, there is no documentation of attacks on man by alligator gars. The eggs are poisonous, causing illness if consumed by humans."
    The largest recorded alligator gar was a 350 lbs giant caught during the 1930's in the Saint Francis River, Arkansas.
    Hope this goes a ways to clear up some of the detail re the aligator gar.

Attached Files:

11. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We hooked on on Lake Jackson one night and we chased it for about 5 minutes before it finally popped the line.

12. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Good Grief!!!
    I finally re-read your original post and realized that yes, I was talking about long nose gar. Sorry for the bad info. I am not aware of alligator gar in Georgia.

13. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    just bought my first bowfishing rig (hate it or love it) and gonna see if I can find some on sunday night while I do some fishin.

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Now all you need is a fan boat and you can drive everyone in the campground crazy too. lol:crazy:

15. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    yeah I wont be doing more than using a trolling motor and a spotlight when things get slow catfishing. someone pulled a 58lb carp out of allatoona last week bowfishing.