Alligator Gar - where should we go?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Hannibal Mike, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I really want to fish for alligator gar and catch a fair sized one for pictures. I have heard Lake Sam Rayburn mentioned. Where else might a Missouri guy go for these big, ugly, prehistoric, predatious, bodatious, snaggletoothed, log shaped, warm water loving, denisons of the sand flats? Have Rod - Will Travel. Hannibal Mike

2. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mike
    I wish the state would hire you to come get those things in check here at Santee Cooper !!!! Those lakes are full of em

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Come on down to Louisiana we have plenty. The state record is 179 lbs. Caught right here in North La.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

The two best places in Texas are either the Trinity River, especially above the town of Trinity, or the Rio Grande. The best time is in warmer months. Rayburn is fine, has some big ones, but its difficult to locate them unless you know their habits on a big lake like that. There's a guide out of Trinity named Capt Kirk (real name) who's supposedly the best around at catching big gar. Has clients from all over the world. If you want a guide, you might want to check him out.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I heard there's alligator gar swimming into white river in Arkansas. I have arkansas postcard past that guy landed 230 pounds, 7 feet 8 inches long. They also use livebait or dead bait like small rough fish as carp, sucker, sheepshead, or more other baitfish. you have to get heavy tackles for alligator gar...

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    it seems anywhere i want to fish live bait has alot of gars!
    come down to waco and clean alot of them out PLEASE!

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you really want to catch gar go CATFISHING!!!!Should be no problem at all getting all you want.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :roll_eyes: :crazy: :eek:oooh: :tounge_out:

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I think we are talking about big gar. If that's the case, Texas is indeed the place. As for cleaning them out, they are a natural part of the eco system. If you don't eat them, put them back, especially the big ones. It takes a long time for a gator gar to get up over 100 lbs.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    in some places they have become too abundant though. In the bosque, i can drift downstream for about 2 miles and see atleast 4-5 over 6'.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    For big gar the frist place I would try the Black waters off the Gulf Al to Tx take your choice:0a23:alsoI would hire a guide for they know where the big ones are and how to catch them

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    North Louisiana would be closer, but Tx is sure famous. I'll try to find out more about the Trinity river and the town, plus, I'll look at the bosque info. I don't know where it is. It might be most efficient to call Captain Kirk. By the time you haul a boat that far, it might be cost effective to hire a guide who knows what he's doing. I have heard that getting one out of the water and under control for a photo could be TOUGH! I would like to eat gar, but I want a 6-10lb longnose for that. I really appreciate all the help. A gar about 90 - 100lbs would sure make a picture and a story. Hannibal Mike

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Capt. Kirk is the guide that Doug Stange, In-fisherman mag. went with. That article and television show were both great. There's another gar guide on the Trinity, but don't remember the name. Seems most of Kirk's clients are European or Asian. Do they know something we don't about gar fishing?

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have seen gars over 5 ft laying on the bank where someone caught and threw them below the dam at Logan Martin. Outside of Pell City Alabama.
    The largest one I have caught there was 4' 9" while fishing with a float and shad fillets for catfish. Most any water below the dams in the south have huge gars.

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
  15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not many seem to fish for gar in the winter, preferring Summer. Maybe that's because not much is known about gar habits, especially those of the gator gar, so most fish for them when the spend more time rolling on top of the water, that's summertime. My friend who fishes the Brazos near Waco has caught 20+ lb longnoses in the late fall, but no gator gar. Those seem to hit best in the late spring to early fall. Last summer, he and I hooked up on about 40 gar, I landed ten of the ones that took the bait, the largest being about 4 ft long. He caught the largest, one that weighed nearly 30 lbs.

16. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I'll give the brazos a look! That sounds like fun too. I have not seen long nose that big and catching a bunch of larger gar one day would be fun. Besides, I kinda like that Willie Nelson song about crossing the Brazos to Waco. Thanks, Hannibal Mike OH! When you talk about fall fishing, is it stilll good in early Nov? I know that it is warmer down there.

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Its difficult to say what is fall and isn't in Texas. Gar fishing is going to be best before the middle of October. Last trip out in November, it was cold at night and we did well on blue and channel cats. My buddy did hook up with a 22 lb longnose, but that was the only gar caught that trip...he's a gar magnet. In the last three months, though, he's caught 4 flatheads over 20 lbs, the largest went 31 and several 10+ lb blues. He releases the flatheads.

18. SanteeCooperKat

SanteeCooperKat New Member

State:
    PA/SC
    How far north are Alligator Gar? Southern Virginia, North Carolina? All answers would be greatly appriciated.

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Arkansas River, White River (up to about Batesville, the further south the better) and the Mississippi river in central and north Arkansas has them. Have you checked out the Mississippi River in southern Missouri? I've seen them as far north as Memphis (as far north as I've been) in the Mississippi.

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know they are in Missouri. I have heard of a few coming out of LOZ, but numbers are scarce. not really enough to target them here. The Mississippi in lower MO might be another thing altogether.