Alligator Gar Tackle

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Waterbug, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Gar Heads...

I've got a trip planned to target some Arkansas River Alligator Gar. I'm going to be able to hit a buddys "secret gar hole" where he bow fishes. They have taken one over 200 pounds and a few more 100 plus fish.

Here's my question: What type of rod and reel would you recommend to fight a 100 plus pound gar? I figure I need something that has a capacity to handle line much larger than I use on my catfishing gear.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would use a metal leader of some kind , if you can find one tuff enough to handle a 100+ pound gar . Some serious power pro should do fine while using the drag . Also might want to get a few big gator hooks or shark hooks lol . I seen some nice gator hooks in a catalog that catfish connection has . Good bait would be the head and gut pocket of a carp or huge skip or shad . I hope the best for you in hooking up with a real river monster . It should be a great fight .

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Heavy line and a steel leader will probably be the most important part of your trip. A heavy or extra-heavy rod should get the job done if you need to go that route. Good luck and dont forget your camera.

4. xbutton22x

xbutton22x New Member

State:
    IL
    Is this honey hole anywhere close to Corning Arkansas? I got property down there and would love to try it also. Best of luck.

5. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    To be honest, I'm not exactly sure where it's located (never been there before), but I do know that it's only 30 minutes or so out of L.R.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    ABU 7000 or bigger on a 7' Hvy or X Hvy fast tipped rod would work real well. I have a 7' fenwick OffShore Sea Hawk that would pull-em in with ease.. But I've seen them use 8-10':wink:

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    gar are not prone to hunt cover so any reel capable of holding 125 yards or more of 40 lb.line or bigger should do the job.80 lb.steel leader with 8 or 9/0 trebile hook should work.remember to let the fish run longer than you do with a cat gar take their time bout taking a bait.if ya got room in the boat let me know ill bring the steel leaders and the trebile hooks and some 2 lb.skipjacks for bait. lol

8. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    pits couldnt have said it any better your regular catfishin setup should work fine just add a steel leader along with an overly large treble hook and your set good luck and have fun catching em

9. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Bryce,

If you get down near Corning, you wont have to go very far,

Corning Lake,is right in town almost and Williams Lake is right down the same road about 2 miles, both of them have (((Big))) Gar, they are not that easy to catch as people have you believe,

I have caught them on Jugs, with cut bait, my favorite is to use a live minnow, under a float, 3 or 4 ft deep, they will usualy take the bait , like the guys have told you and make a run with it, some times fast and then sometimes just swim off a little ways ,then they will start to eat the bait, if you try and set the hook then you will miss him every time,if you really want to catch Gar, take a guitar string, high E string, it is the smallest one, and make a loop, tie it to your barrel swivel,hang the bait in the middle of the noose, then when he takes the bait you can set the hook and the noose will tighten up around his nose.kink the guitar string just a little to keep the loop open, until you set the hook,you want about a 6" loop.

I use #50 lb. or #80 lb. mono for a leader and 6500CL with a 8ft.6" rod
    same tackle I use for Catfish. #7/0 #8/0 circle is what I use, but a Kale would also work.

Hey, it works for me !!!!!!

cliff

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    they seem to find me no matter where i go lol

creeks seem to have a thicker population around my area

11. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seems like everyone i talk with tells me to toss them out of the water and on the shore and not to toss them back in the lake?

I guess they are bad or something but i like the fight they give but why does everyone tell them if i catch one to leave it on the bank and kill it for

12. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Dirtman

Welcome to the B.O.C., I think it all started with the Dept of Fish and Game, all Gar are another predator fish, like Walleye, Bass, Catfish, on and on, I agree with you, they are fun to catch , and give you a good fight, ((( I do not throw them on the bank, or cut the lower jaw, or what ever else that people tell me to do, I release them back into the water, like I do 90 percent of all fish that I catch,)))

Do what you think is the right thing to do,

cliff

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    A good steel leader and a very sharp hook will help alot.I would go with some 65# to 80# power pro line.

14. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i'm gonna say some 50lb braided line and a 3ft 80# steel leader and i will say any good ambassador will do.

15. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i saw a show with johny morris and bill dance and the y ehere guided by two guys called "the gar guys" on a river in texas- supposedly monster gar everywhere- they caught one over 200lbs i think and several more over 100lbs and they where using johnymorris signature series reels and rods and bill was using quantum- both low profile series but not sure what model numbers!! do a lil research on the gar guys and maybe you can fin d out what they like!!
    they have a site garguys. com

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  16. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if it was me i would use a 1 ton rod with a 7000i

17. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey we used a 9ft or 10ft Toughstick with a 6500 of 7000 garcia reel and 65# or 80# PowerPro. We were snagging them with a 5/0 or 6/0 treble hook. I never caught them on with bait but this is what we used for eqiupment. We have landed alot of 7ft gators and a couple over 7.5ft. I hope this helps.

18. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Take Shane's advice, they have landed plenty of big gator gar with this setup. Check out the pics, click on home, then scroll down to sponsors and click on Cherokee Rod Co. Steven is holding up a 200lb. plus. using the 10' Tough Stick.:crazy:

19. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    hope to see some pic's if you get a big one. I just started gar fishing and have had a blast. caught my pb shortnose today, he was 43'' and 8lbs 12 oz. i got pictures just have to get them loaded

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  20. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    mine was a longnose not a shortnose