Alligator gar and fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Oct 17, 2008.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    DO GAR ACTUALLY AFECT FISHING, I THINK NOT ONLY THE BIG ONES, I WAS FISHING UNDER A DOCK LIGHT LASTNIGHT AND THERE WERE ABOUT 30 SMALL GAR ABOUT 1-2FT IN LENGTH AND THE STRIPERS WERE STILL BITING SO WERE THE BLUE GILL AND THE LARGEMOUTH.

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I've done alot of tailrace fishing at Cooper lake. It has alot of gar,especially when the gates are open. I can't say it has ever affected the bite. I almost always catch alot of fish there.

3. southtxcatter

southtxcatter New Member

State:
    texas
    GAr are a poor man's tarpon and too much fun to catch...used to fish them alot on r/r....awesome to catch and scream that drag....

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    They also taste pretty darn good in my opinion.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've heard some say that gar will screw up the fishing but that's not been my experience over the years, except for one thing, they'll steal your bait.

Although I've had many opportunities to do it, I've never cleaned and eaten a gar. I'm gonna try it though, maybe this spring.

I already know how to catch a boatload of them on trot or limbline; using nylon twine, leave excess twine when tying hooks the same length of the hook; frazzle this excess out up to the eye of the hook and bait just as you normally would (live wiggly bait, minners or gills, etc.) Their teeth gets caught in the frazzled twine and they'll eventually get hooked.

You know the ol fish story, the one that got away,,,,,,,,,this spring I had the biggest gar I've ever seen on a limbline, at least 6' long, but it wasn't hooked good and got off while I was trying to get him in the boat ( I was alone that day too).

6. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gar are good to eat. If you ever ate any fish sticks then chanches are that you have eaten Gar.