Alligator, alligator gar, or poacher?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigOBear, Oct 13, 2008.

1. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Can't tell much by the pic but here's the story. I've had a few 9/0 J hooks opened out about 45 degrees or so. There's plenty of gators in the lake. A local game warden told me he's seen 6 and 7 foot alligator gar come out of there too. So, I replaced some of my old 9/0's with gamakatsu 10/0 circles and dared the monster to straighten it out. Put out half a dozen lines or so with hand size bream and backed off to rod n reel fish a while. Headed in around 2 in the morning and came out a little late when the sun came up. Two bass fishing boats easing along the bank flipping baits. This was the end of one of my limb lines. Used to be a $3 gamakatsu hanging there. I figure it was the gator or gator gar... have a hard time believing someone would take my hook even if there was a big ole fish jerking it around.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BigOBear/BrokeLine?authkey=-Y05szrxIuc#5256761223225974594

What say you?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well it was surely broken, and not cut. An enigma, I say! :wink:
    Bill in SC

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Like bill said, it was definetly broken and not cut, the fact that the line is frayed that much is a dead give away. I would venture to guess that either its a gator, gator gar, or you got some MONSTER cats in there. :smile2::smile2:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    gators have round teeth with no sharp edges so im going to guess gar or big flathead.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    looks like gator work to me

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    The way the line is frayed and fuzzed out I believe it was broken. It could have been a big gar, but I honestly think it was a gator. I have seen documentaries on gators and they jerk,snatch,and roll their prey.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm agreeing with those that said gator. I'd try a really solid setup with some steel line for leader. Maybe you can catch it and see what it is. Whatever it is it's used to coming there for food and will probably keep coming back. (until it's mouth fills up with expensive hooks) I have a question about your lines though. from the pic it looks like the lead is molded around the nylon. How did you accomplish that?

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I have no idea what did that but I sure hope it doesn't find its way to Tennessee!!!:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

9. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Jimmy,

I took some nylon rope we have and made three cuts. First with scissors that are very much used, then with a very sharp knife, then with a razor blade. The pictures are below in that order. I only did this because I wanted to see it for myself, but the results have me wondering. The knife and razor blade both cut very straight, but the scissors looks almost identical to your picture, they even flare out to the side like yours, minus the tiny hairs sticking out. These are brand new cuts, as I took the pictures immediately after cutting.

Again, this was only for "MY" curiosity, as I wanted to see the different cuts myself.

Attached Files:

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Deffitnatly a gator they love to check those limb lines.:smile2:

11. shifty

shifty New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i say an angry catfish hirin a gar to do his dirty work lol :smile2:

12. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks a ton for the responses.

It's still those same ones I made with the 3/4 inch nipples. That's one of the uglier ones with one end boogered up. I put the boogered up end towards the top so it wasn't bumping against the knot holding the weight.

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i dont know what that could have been had the same thing happen to me up north of you before in a spot i know no one else fished so maybe a big flathead got it or it may have had a bad spot on that part of the line guess we will never know though

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Interesting, I guess we will never know, might have been a bass fisherman trying to get his lure and finally just cut the line. I have had fish stolen off jugs with the hooks cut off. Sometimes thieves have to hurry.

Jim

15. psychobilly

psychobilly New Member

State:
    texas
    No tell'n, but prolly some one pissed off, but I'm defiantly don't think it was a gator. Ya see when you go out to hunt gators you use a line and a hook. Once he swallers the bait he will sit there and wait as he will not pull his stomach out. When you pull up and see he has taken the hanging bait you left you CAREFULLY grab the line and pull him to you and shoot him between the eyes with a small cal pistol.

It could have been anything, but prolly a rod and reel fisherman. Nothing against them, different strokes fer different folks, but I have had them cut my lines before.... Not sure why someone that enjoys fishing would do this to another fisherman...... Don't make no since......:confused2:

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id say whatever it was switch to r&r and that should solve your problem:tounge_out::big_smile: fish teathered to a rope makes for easy pickings :wink:

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks again for all the responses. Been giving it some more thought.

I'm kinda leaning toward a fish/animal for a few logical reasons. First one (not so logical) is I'm naive I guess and think that just because I have a hard time even imagining bothering someone else's sets I can't imagine someone else bothering mine. Another reason is that if I was an ornery type and was going to cut a line to be mean I wouldn't pull it up and cut it just above the hook. And the third, if I was the thieving type and pulled a limb line in with a fish 8 to 10 inches below a beautiful 1/2 lb of home poured lead, I wouldn't cut below the weight... I'd cut above it.

Once again... thanks for the responses :big_smile:

18. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    good point on the lead you would think that if it was a person with any sense at all they would take the lead i personally still think it was a either a big cat or just a bad spot on the line

19. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    When yoyoing in La. coons would take our hooks to the tree tops. Maybe something similar happened. If it got snagged on the hook while eating your bait he could have chewed through the line.