Allergic to catfish - what to do, what would you do.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by litltman, Jan 10, 2007.

1. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    hi,check this out, years ago I tried to eat catfish,and I had a reaction to it.then about 2 years ago we were playing at a church and they had a catfish fry, again the same thing happened.? is. will all the catfish have the same affect as those that I have tried,or is there a difference. I dont even know what those others were. is this strange or what. :roll_eyes:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You have been warned twice, don't take a chance on a third time. I would guess you don't have a peanut allergy or you would have made the connection but they may have been cooked in peanut oil. The way it looks, you and catfish don't get on with each other so stay clear of it...W

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That you have an allergic reaction to seafood! If you don't mind,what kind of reaction did ya have?:big_smile:

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You can give me all the catfish you catch. I luuuuuuv catfish.

5. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    they make me drunk in the head. really drunk.my face and lips and eyes tingle. I dont understand something,, I have been warned twice about what.if I am doing something wrong , let me know what it is. i am new on here and I dont have it all figured out as of yet. thanks

6. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    that is very strange, never heard of anything like it. should do some research on it. oh yes, welcome to the boc!

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    He was saying that you have had 2 bad experiences with eating catfish, if things are that bad in the reactions, you should probably not try eating it a third time for fear of negative results!

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I'm allergic to shellfish ... not fish. I grew up on the Texas coast, ate shellfish all the time (shrimp, crabs, lobster, etc.) When I was around 30 yrs old, ate some crabs, 30 mins. or so later, skin breaking out and itching like crazy, passed out, went to emergency room. About a year later, ate one small shrimp, it was enought to make my legs and arms breakout. Have not had shellfish since (about 10 years).
    I can eat fish, even salt water fish but there is a protein in shellfish that my body developed a allergic reaction to. The Doctor's answer to how I developed a allergic reaction that I've never had before ... "the body changes". :confused2:

9. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    thanks for the welcome, and the response. I hope that I can be an asset to this forum. have a blessed day

10. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    by the way, croakers do the very same thing to me.but I can eat all other kind of fish and shrimp

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Steve, Welcome to the BOC... I'm sure you will be a great asset to the brotherhood. I've been an outstanding assetter since joining...:lol:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Live dangerously and you live right.

12. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Hey at least your not allergic to catching them. And welcome the people on here are the nices group that I have ever had the privilege of talking to.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    they could have used peanut oil to fry em up last time. alot of people have allergies to peanuts.

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Have you seen a Doctor? If not, you might want to it could be something that the fish is cooked in that your allerigic to. I sure wouldnt take any chances. Welcome to the BOC!!!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I have always been allergic to the Idoine thats in the fish. Cant eat any sea food because of this . Allergic reaction each time I tried. Dr. ran several test and decided this was the problem(Idoine):0a26: :hungry:

16. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Just practice catch and release,and you will be OK!:lol:

Welcome to the BOC!

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Steve - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction to catfish but you can always practice catch n release!:smile2:

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone can develop an allergy to anything at any given moment. Depending upon your body chemistry, stress, whatever. Just because you aren't allergic at one moment doesn't mean that you may not be allergic in 20 min. Always remember that.

I knew a girl that was allergic to nail polish remover. Took them a couple of weeks to figure it out and get her body back under control from the hives.

Hives can and do kill. Hives are generated from an allergy, IMO. Some people say they are caused by stress. Hives look bad on the outside, but rememeber they begin inside and if you look bad outside, just imagine what your body looks like on the inside. The swelling can close your windpipe and you will suffocate. It can and is for some, a life threatening allergic reaction.

See an MD or research it on the net.

Take care.
    Cheryl

19. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    It's a good thing you are not allergic to touching fish or you would have to borrow JW's pink gloves! LOL (Sorry JW, I had to say that) Welcome to the BOC.

20. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Welcome to the BOC and like has been said just catch and release or give to someone that can't get out and catch their own