Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
101 - 120 of 458 Posts
Discussion starter · #102 ·
Caught my first flathead of the year last night. Was fishing between Roston and Ford City. Got there around 7:00 caught the 26" flatty at 9:15. Not another bite the rest of the night, left around 1:00 AM. Caught it on a gill head.
Thanks for the report Tim! :big_smile: Glad to hear you got your 1st Flatty of the year! :cool2:

Discussion starter · #103 ·
Me and justin got out on the river last night. i ended up going up his way. We had al kinds of troups lined up and ready to go:wink:. Major variety but the most productive was live and dead gills. He caught the first 3 and had a few runs and missed a couple. I thought i was gonna have another skunked night:sad2:. Then i got a good run and missed her. After that it was game on. we caught 8 flats total and it was out first cats of the year:big_smile:. I got a 30in- (12lb 6oz), 28in- (10lb 5oz), 21in- (4lb), 20in- (3lb 8oz),And a 33in- (16lb 4oz). Justin caught an 26in- (8lb 12oz), 33in- (14lb 9oz), and a 31in- (14lb 10oz). The last flat i had caught was really fat and smelled kinda funny:confused2:.. Justin said it looked like it needs to take a dumb. Next thing you know im getting ready to throw him back in and the bastard shit on me:embarassed:. It was really funny and made the night even better. Overall i had a great time and cant wait to go out again. Justin took pictures and will post them whenever he gets on. AND HE EVEN GOT A PICTURE OF THE FLAT SHIT ON ME>>HAHAHA
Great report Damien! :cool2: Congrats to you and Justin on the productive night of Cattin'! I'm looking forward to the pics! :cool2:

Discussion starter · #104 ·
The Cattracker1 set sail last night for the 1st time in 2009! Hit pool #8 with 3 buddies. We had a pretty good night putting 22 Cats onboard! :big_smile: The breakdown was 7 Flatheads and 15 Channels. Largest Flathead measured 31 1/2" and largest Channel went 26". It sure was nice to get back out on the river again! :cool2: Some pics attached.

Attachments

Nice fish Scott! I to had a good night at lock #6, landed 4 flats 1 small one that I didnt measure one 25"@ 7.11#,one 31"@10.2#and one 39 1/2" @25.7# also had several others on. The better half also caught a smallflat to. All mine fell for live gills and hers on a night crawler, cant convince her to give up the small gear and upgrade to big cat gear. I'll be there again to night, just got back from gettin bait and caught some absolutly huge gills in a pond I've never fished before, endin up making five casts for five gills all about the same size, probably 11-12" long and top to bottom probably 8-9". Hope thats a good sign for tonight.

The Cattracker1 set sail last night for the 1st time in 2009! Hit pool #8 with 3 buddies. We had a pretty good night putting 22 Cats onboard! :big_smile: The breakdown was 7 Flatheads and 15 Channels. Largest Flathead measured 31 1/2" and largest Channel went 26". It sure was nice to get back out on the river again! :cool2: Some pics attached.
I,m telling you Scott,it,s them cool flattie decals on your boat that,s luring them in!Congrats on an excellent first trip!:cool2::crazy::eek:oooh:

Me and justin got out on the river last night. i ended up going up his way. We had al kinds of troups lined up and ready to go:wink:. Major variety but the most productive was live and dead gills. He caught the first 3 and had a few runs and missed a couple. I thought i was gonna have another skunked night:sad2:. Then i got a good run and missed her. After that it was game on. we caught 8 flats total and it was out first cats of the year:big_smile:. I got a 30in- (12lb 6oz), 28in- (10lb 5oz), 21in- (4lb), 20in- (3lb 8oz),And a 33in- (16lb 4oz). Justin caught an 26in- (8lb 12oz), 33in- (14lb 9oz), and a 31in- (14lb 10oz). The last flat i had caught was really fat and smelled kinda funny:confused2:.. Justin said it looked like it needs to take a dumb. Next thing you know im getting ready to throw him back in and the bastard shit on me:embarassed:. It was really funny and made the night even better. Overall i had a great time and cant wait to go out again. Justin took pictures and will post them whenever he gets on. AND HE EVEN GOT A PICTURE OF THE FLAT SHIT ON ME>>HAHAHA
It was a perfect night to be out on the water. The river seemed more like a lake, perfectly still and calm. We went to an area I've not fished at all before so it was a gamble. I was fairly happy with the results, although none of them were very big. Im kinda wondering if I should fish it again and try to see if there are bigger ones in the area or not. Im assuming that with all the flats around the same size, thats most likely not the area to get big ones in. Im figuring its most likely the 2nd or 3rd best spot on that pool and the bigger ones are in the better locations. The area we were fishing was dredged last year and it really affected the layout of the bottom ( I guess I just gave away the location of the spot to everyone who knows where they dredged last year).:wink: I was hoping that with the dredging done it would create transitional zones that they would use to travel from daytime zones to feeding zones. I think it did do that but we werent exactly in the right spot. A little more time in and I think I can narrow it down.:wink: The area we were fishing had spots in the main channel that were pushing up to and sometimes right over 50 feet deep and some sudden rises going into 15-20'. Even close to shore the water was still in that 15-20' range and we had to get extremely close to shore (say within 10 feet) before finding the 5-10' water that I was originally looking for. Strangely, I only caught 1 in that 5-10' deep area. All the other fish were coming from 35-40' of water:eek:oooh:. Im not sure why this was but once we got the memo we started getting into them.

Thanks for the company Damien. It was nice to get out with a Brother and both get our first flats of the year. They were also his first fish EVER out of a boat. I should have the pics up later today after I get off work as I cant load them at work. The flat takin a crap all through the boat sucked but was pretty funny too. That stuff STINKS.:smile2::crazy: It looked like a condor was roostin above us:angry:. All the fish were extremely fat and Im guessing that they wont stop eating until they begin spawning.

PS. It feels great to have "flathead fingers" again, its been a long time!!

I went out again on the river tonight for only 4 hours and did good. I caught 5 total and lost 3. ALL FLATS:big_smile::big_smile:. I woulda fished longer but i ran outta gills cause i used alot last night fishing with justin.:sad2: I dont have any lengths of the fish cause were i was fishing at is a high attention area if your by yourself and using more than 1 rod. But somehow i managed to work through it. Got some pics. The first was 6lb 11oz----9lb 10oz----3lb---7lb 3oz---and a 26lb 11oz flat:big_smile::big_smile:.. The big boy broke the line right at shore:crazy: and i had to jump off this wall and run down into the water to grab him so he didnt get away. THANK GOD HE WAS TIRED FROM THE FIGHT.. or else i woulda lost him.

Attachments

NICE, I guess you kicked the skunk big time in the past couple days:roll_eyes: Mike wont know what to do now that you got it goin while he was away!!!

Made it out again last night but got a late start, only fished till about 1:30 and only had one on wasent very big though didnt even pull any drag, Im guessin maybe a 10 lber. Doesent seem right callin a 10 lb fish small, by most fisherpersons standards a fish 10lbs is huge. But im done till next weekend.

Discussion starter · #118 ·
I got out on the Cattracker1 again last night. I ended up going solo as my buddy bailed out at the last minute. :angry: First spot I got 1 small Flathead only 17", then nothing. I moved to another spot and got 6 Channel Cats that went 28",26", 24", 20", 19", 17" and 15". The 28" weighed a impressive 10 lb. 7 oz., the 26" weighed in at 7 lb. 10 oz. My pics didn't turn out to well but I'm posting a couple.

Attachments

finally got out for cats the first time this year. fished pool 3 from 8pm-5am. got a 28"channel on the deep side of a drop off right at dark and missed a couple heavy fish there as well, and got a 40" flat head at least 25lb.(guessing) in about 4fow at 1am. and a few other smaller fish. fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up to a spooled rod, i had a 6" blue gill on for bait:angry:. lost about 200yd of 20lb fire line if anyone catches that fish let me know i want my line back braided is expensive!!!(kidding) big flat on a live gill and big channel on a live shiner, lots of hits on shiners.

Went out again tonight with mike and a buddy scot. All together we caught 11 fish:cool2:. Mike caught a 10lb 5oz---18lb 4oz:big_smile:---11lb flats and a 9lb 4oz channel. Buddy scot caught a small flat---10lb 6oz---and a 5lb channel. I ended up with a small flat---4lb 10oz---9lb 8oz---and a 9lb 4oz flat... Throughout the night we had tons of runs and a bunch of misses and lost fish:angry:. Went threw 30 gills so the ratio from bait to landed fish isnt so good. And i still have not caught a channel cat yet this year:crazy:..But Here are some pics of the fish... Sorry for the crappy report im tired and want some sleep. lol

Attachments

101 - 120 of 458 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.