Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
41 - 60 of 458 Posts
hey mike is the other end of the tunnel under water right in front of the dam.just wondering if you need waders to fish there? i know what you mean about going thru the scap yard, that does suck.
The water doesnt get high untill you get towards the dam. That picture i posted was me facing the end of the tunnel by the dam. And that day you couldnt get through unless you had chest waders. But this past weekend you could get through cause the water was down a good 4-5 foot. And some of the island was showing but your still needed hip waders. If this rain hold off then you should be able to fish from shore this weekend.

I have 2 questions for you guys. when i go to my doctor for my shots in my knee i get off at the allegheny valley exit, there looks like a low head dam and a lock and 2 islands in the middle of the river above and below the bridge. looks like a great place to fish,what is that place called? and closer to st.margret's hospital i pass a bridge called hulton bridge, how is the fishing down there? looks like a nice place to fish too. i am not from down that way and but that whole stretch of river looks nice.

I have 2 questions for you guys. when i go to my doctor for my shots in my knee i get off at the allegheny valley exit, there looks like a low head dam and a lock and 2 islands in the middle of the river above and below the bridge. looks like a great place to fish,what is that place called? and closer to st.margret's hospital i pass a bridge called hulton bridge, how is the fishing down there? looks like a nice place to fish too. i am not from down that way and but that whole stretch of river looks nice.
I believe you are refuring to lock 3. which is harmerville. That isnt that bad to fish. You usually get some nice bass,walleye,sauger,stripper\hybrid bass and plenty more fish. And most importantly is the flats and channels. Me and mike go there often but i wasnt fortunate to catch anything from there this past season because i didnt get down there much untill the end of the year. Mike goes there more than i do so id have to ask him if he has had much luck there. But, If you would keep driving down freeport road and pass st margrets about a mile or so after the hospital you get the lock 2 which is the highland park bridge and we often talk about that spot.

That is lock 3 Brian. It is good for just about any fish and I fish there regularly. I will warn though that the climb down the hill may be cause for a few more shots in your knee. It is quite the climb.

Thought bout tryin it there this year, I mostly stick to lock 6 but Im goin to try some other spots this year. Maybe do some scoutin this weekend since the boat wont be ready till the following weekend

Is there any place to launch a boat below the lock?

Yeah man! It is right below the lock across the street from Target. When I drive by there tomorrow I will let you know what turn it is exactly. You need to be carful down there with a boat though because there are some serious gravel bars. I can walk from the bank to the first island without getting my knees wet. You need to approach on the lock side of the river and then go over to the left.

Anyone planning to go out friday night? I am leaving for florida on saturday morning and would like to get out on the river for a while. If your planning to go out, lemme know. Maybe we can get something together.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Today was a paid holiday at work so I decided to hit lock #6. Soon as I got there at 3 PM it started to rain. I gave it a go for 2 hours without a bite in the cold rain and left! :sad2: I dipped a theromometer and the water temp was 38*! :crazy: There won't be any Flatheads caught from the Allegheny for awhile! :sad2: 38* really sucks! No wonder the east side guys start catching before us!

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Today was a paid holiday at work so I decided to hit lock #6. Soon as I got there at 3 PM it started to rain. I gave it a go for 2 hours without a bite in the cold rain and left! :sad2: I dipped a theromometer and the water temp was 38*! :crazy: There won't be any Flatheads caught from the Allegheny for awhile! :sad2: 38* really sucks! No wonder the east side guys start catching before us!

Discussion starter · #55 ·

The susky is alil bit warmer. 40.8 degrees :cool2:. It was a bad day fishing for me too. We just gotta wait for the water to warm up just alil bit.

Headed up above Harrisburg on the susky for about 6hrs once the rain stopped. First time uo that far, wanted to get a little familiar with the river up there. Caught 9 channels, biggest was only 11# and a 8#er. Was good to finally get out after the last couple weekends sucked because of the weather.

41 - 60 of 458 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.