Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 458 Posts
Man oh man winter is really starting to suck! At least this weekend is the super bowl. Is anybody going to the eastern sports show in Harrisburg next week? Fish.... me need to fish.....:smile2:

Till then I'll stick to my ice pond fishin':wink:. Long time till flatheads:sad2:

Well I see from the USGS website that the river is starting to come back down toward normal levels. Last year my first trip of the year was March 15th. I don't know if I'll meet that this year but I gotta get to the river soon :crazy: Has anyone tried the Allegheny yet?

Me and mike who is also from the boc went down a few days ago.. the river was still really high down at the HPD but we went down to give it a shot and ended up with nothing... But it was still a good time.. then we did some scouting..:wink:

Thinkin about hittin the dam at Clinton to try out the walleye bite either Thursday or Friday. Hopefully at least SOMETHING is in there waitin for a twister tail.:wink:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I plan on hitting the Allegheny this weekend! Warm temps rolling in, I have to get out! I bought a dozen minnows last Saturday and drove over to Lock #6. I should have checked the USGS site first. The river was rippin' so I turned around and went home. Its back down now! :cool2:

I plan on hitting the Allegheny this weekend! Warm temps rolling in, I have to get out! I bought a dozen minnows last Saturday and drove over to Lock #6. I should have checked the USGS site first. The river was rippin' so I turned around and went home. Its back down now! :cool2:
2000cfs, this morning.. nice level...

y'all better hurry up there's only two weekends left to catch your eyez:wink:

Jason

Me and mike who is also from the boc went down a few days ago.. the river was still really high down at the HPD but we went down to give it a shot and ended up with nothing... But it was still a good time.. then we did some scouting..:wink:
We wen't down to HPD again earlier this evening. It was OK although we didn't catch anything. Damien managed to lose two bucktails that he just purchased on Friday :roll_eyes::smile2:. The river is alot lower than it was last time we went out, it is starting to look promising. I will have my first catch of 2009 within the next two weeks!

Went down to the highland park damn again.. No bites at all but the water went down a good 3-4foot.. water was still murky and chilly but it was a good thing to see the water level went down a ton from a week ago. Lost 2 big bucktail lures i just bought but i got to use my new reel if you wanna look at the good side of things. hahaha.

Well the North has gotten slammed with over an inch of rain and kinzua has responded by raising water levels. over the matter of a couple days; water levels have gone from 2000 to 7000 and they might still be rising (haven't checked this morning)...

You guys fishing the lock side (East side) of Highland park dam by shore? I did that once, didn't like the access.. it didn't seem deep?.

I have heard people speak about HPD.. espacially for walleyes. I also heard that fishing improves from March into May, so you'll have to brag!
myself, fishing has been skunky:embarassed:

I'll be curious to know who long it takes for high waters to get down there. up here the water is pretty high even before any of the bigger tributaries join the river... and all the bigger streams are chocolate brown.

Well the North has gotten slammed with over an inch of rain and kinzua has responded by raising water levels. over the matter of a couple days; water levels have gone from 2000 to 7000 and they might still be rising (haven't checked this morning)...

You guys fishing the lock side (East side) of Highland park dam by shore? I did that once, didn't like the access.. it didn't seem deep?.

I have heard people speak about HPD.. espacially for walleyes. I also heard that fishing improves from March into May, so you'll have to brag!
myself, fishing has been skunky:embarassed:

Jason, we fish the opposite side of the lock than you are thinking of. I have often thought about trying the lock side, but have not gotten around to it yet. Usually HPD is a great place to fish. You can go down there on a nice morning and not have any problem catching 10-20 fish. Once you are familiar with the area and talk to some people, you will see that access to this side of HPD is VERY easy with a light of some sort.

Also, where do you get the information about water levels and the CFM numbers of the dams. I also (think at least) that you posted a graph of the river temperature from the past year. Where did you get all that from, I would love to know. Thanks!

Jason, we fish the opposite side of the lock than you are thinking of. I have often thought about trying the lock side, but have not gotten around to it yet. Usually HPD is a great place to fish. You can go down there on a nice morning and not have any problem catching 10-20 fish. Once you are familiar with the area and talk to some people, you will see that access to this side of HPD is VERY easy with a light of some sort.

Also, where do you get the information about water levels and the CFM numbers of the dams. I also (think at least) that you posted a graph of the river temperature from the past year. Where did you get all that from, I would love to know. Thanks!
www.usgs.gov
click on "real-time" water data... incidentally the closest gauge to HPD is at River near Natrona....

Water guage for both kinzua and natrona is attached and as you can see water level is coming up fast....50,000 and rising. Still not too much above the normal level of 35,000 for that location (seen my the triangles)

Fortunately for me, Kinzua being a very major flooding control dam,and makes termperature measurements... thats rare for usgs which has been making cutbacks to measurements and gauges throughout the state. there might not be a good temperature readout anywhere local to you. You'll just have to browse the river valley to see. there is a couple more websites with river gauging information, but usgs has enough information for me, and includes the state- I rarely go anywhere else. Do these other sites, just spit USGS numbers or do they include more?? no idea:tounge_out:

When I fished HPD access seemed lacking on the west shore; but I never did ask a local. the few times I went down there, I ended up driving back up towards springdale and one of the navigational locks has very nice access for the road along the west bank. I've often wondered how fun that would be in may during the peak of prespawn (I always was there in the winter).. Maybe I'll come down your way one day. ahh... so many LONG trips to ponder; such few opportunities to do them. When the kids get older, I'm going to travel more!

Attachments

This is a picture of the one wall down the HPD that is never under water during majority of the year. its a good 4 foot wall that mike is standing on. Pitcher taken from my phone last week. Forgot to take one when we went back down this week.

Attachments

The walleye fishing is great down there at HPD. Jason, if you decide to come down for eyes, lemme know. I fished it in the spring for cats once and the water was rippin pretty good, didnt do any good. Once in the summer too, but I was outta bait within about an hour, gar I presume were the culprits as I had solid runs but no hookups. I (we) usually access from the parking lot at the Elks and walk through the tunnel. I usually head toward the marina from there. It should be a good spot early in the year for cats, but I just cant say for sure. Like I said, the eye fishin is great, and we usually wade in right at the launch. Ive heard that the launch there is public, but I dont know for sure. Anyone know if it is???? I know that the guy that owned the marina had some major vandalism problems a while back and now he doesnt let anybody go on the pier at the launch to fish. He came down and questioned us last year when we were fishing at the launch, but didnt kick us out.

The walleye fishing is great down there at HPD. Jason, if you decide to come down for eyes, lemme know. I fished it in the spring for cats once and the water was rippin pretty good, didnt do any good. Once in the summer too, but I was outta bait within about an hour, gar I presume were the culprits as I had solid runs but no hookups. I (we) usually access from the parking lot at the Elks and walk through the tunnel. I usually head toward the marina from there. It should be a good spot early in the year for cats, but I just cant say for sure. Like I said, the eye fishin is great, and we usually wade in right at the launch. Ive heard that the launch there is public, but I dont know for sure. Anyone know if it is???? I know that the guy that owned the marina had some major vandalism problems a while back and now he doesnt let anybody go on the pier at the launch to fish. He came down and questioned us last year when we were fishing at the launch, but didnt kick us out.

That is exactly how we get in; park at the elks and walk through the tunnel with a flashlight. At first I didnt know of the tunnel and always made the trek over the train tracks, through the scrap yard, and down the hill. That was terrible!

I have never really spent much time fishing over by the marina. The owner does not allow anyone to walk down there and fish, from what I understand, but I guess if you come in from the tunnel theres not much he can do. Either way, I will have to check that side out some more this year.

That is exactly how we get in; park at the elks and walk through the tunnel with a flashlight. At first I didnt know of the tunnel and always made the trek over the train tracks, through the scrap yard, and down the hill. That was terrible!

I have never really spent much time fishing over by the marina. The owner does not allow anyone to walk down there and fish, from what I understand, but I guess if you come in from the tunnel theres not much he can do. Either way, I will have to check that side out some more this year.
hey mike is the other end of the tunnel under water right in front of the dam.just wondering if you need waders to fish there? i know what you mean about going thru the scap yard, that does suck.

21 - 40 of 458 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.