Allegheny River Lock 9

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfish chaser, Nov 26, 2008.

1. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I was wondering if any of the western guys of the state have ever fished for cats at lock 9 or in the area. And if so has anyone caught any Flatheads up that far???

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ryan - I have done a lot of my fishing the past 2 years at Lock #9! My boat is docked near the mouth of Mahoning Ck. which is a few miles downstream. Yes there are Flatheads at #9! :big_smile:

3. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Thanks Scott, my sister moved up that way. I'll be giving that area a shot next year

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ryan - The pool between Lock #8 and Lock #9 is a long one, maybe 9 miles. Its dredged for most of its length and there is a lot of deep water, over 50 ft in places. The river has some big bends and areas of rocky shoreline. A very scenic pool, remote compared to other pools on the lower Allegheny. #9 dam is a ice breaker dam with a row of concrete slabs that bust up the ice as it passes over the dam. The water is deeper on the hydro side than the lock side. The hydro plant creates some crazy currents at times which is something to beware of when fishing there. If you want to try it from my boat come the month of May I would be happy to take you up there!

5. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Scott- That sounds like a good plan for next year. I've never fished that pool at all. I'd like to try and fish that area a few times next year. One question though, would you have room on your boat for my brother-in -law too, He hasn't really catfished to much before and wants to learn

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Ryan - No problem! I have a 24' pontoon so I have room. I put it in around the beginning of May. We can talk about a plan around that time! :cool2:

7. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    sounds like a good plan for the spring Scott. I'll p.m. when may swings around