Allegheny River Indian drawings...

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Rockjumper, May 13, 2007.

1. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Found these drawings along the Allegheny river....I have heard about them, but could never find them, the funny thing, I must have walked by them several times before, they were hard to see at first with the river mud on them, but I washed mud off and could really see them.......wonder what they mean? IMGP0014.jpg

IMGP0011.jpg

IMGP0051.jpg

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    IMGP0024.jpg

IMGP0021.jpg

IMGP0016.jpg

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Seen this today also! pretty neato.........

IMGP0060_resize.JPG

IMGP0061_resize.JPG

IMGP0062_resize.JPG

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    heading for higher ground!

IMGP0063_resize.JPG

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good stuff Paul! I've heard of deer swimming across the river before but have never seen it. Those Indian drawings are neat. I looked in a book I have and it turns out they say "Fish here for monster Flatheads":big_smile:

6. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Haa haa, thats is what I was thinking also Scott! Maybe that indian was a catfisherman also, I see deer swimming the river all the time, I finally had my camera in my hand at the right time!

7. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    good stuff

maybe someone will know what the drawings mean

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have heard them after dark,but what I have seen was several years ago. I got up early to fish the river.I was setting there bank fishing as the sun was coming up and a beautiful healthy doe came down for a drink.She spotted me but somehow wasn't afraid. I didn't move a muscle as she looked at me.She had the most beautiful brown eyes! This was before they made digital camra's.I have a feeling if I'd have had a camra she would have been gone had I moved to take her picture,as she was just directly across and to my left.:smile2:

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    that deer was pretty cool!

10. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    i have a book called weird pennsylvania and it has a whole bunch of them in it. i dont remember how much it says about them though. they said that they're are alot more around but when they started makeing the locks most of the ended up underwater.

11. mikepgh

mikepgh New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Those look like Nordic Runes. Look up ASATRU and you may find some of the same symbols. It was a religion and way of life for the Vikings.
    Other peoples may have made those as well.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    those are not runes of Asafolk

13. I have seen the occasional deer river crossing down here in the Norristown area, and the water is 12 ft and about 200 yds across.

One day a few years ago, a big buck with a big rack:eek:oooh:, came swimming by my boat. I was amazed:crazy:, and I started following it with my trolling motor in case it needed help to get to shore, because like I said, the water is pretty deep and wide:embarassed:.

He finally made it to the other side and climed onto shore and apparently it had a broken leg:embarassed:, and couldn't walk too good with out pain:sad2:. Must of got hit by a car. He got back into the river and swam again:crazy:.

I felt bad because I thought I might have made him scared, so I backed off and let him swim away:embarassed:. I couldn't put him out of his misery with my BB gun!:confused2: Haha.:smile2:

Sadly, the next day, I found him dead in the water under a bridge abutment tangled in a tree:sad2: with a Sunnie swimmig around his rack:eek:oooh:.

Creepy looking eyes staring at me from under the water:eek:oooh:.

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    pretty neat stuff thanks for posting

15. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Maybe the Buck thought swimming in the river was a Therapy session and was trying to heal his leg?

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Good idea, hey Brian get your ass in the river-that knee will be good in no time.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    with all the crap in the river up my way its more than likely to fall off as to heal up. :smile2:

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Oh come on-the mon is like spring water:wink:......just grab my transom strap while your in there:eek:oooh:

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    better the strap than the drain plug :wink:.

20. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    HAH, worse yet is when its BOTH!!
    Course the plug didnt end up where the strap did.:embarassed:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009