Allegheny River Catfishing

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigpapa15206, Aug 15, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I fish the lower allegheny
    lock 2 in sharpsburgh
    I catch a ton of cats below the dam
    Wheres everyone else fish?

2. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    come on guys, i know we got some allegheny fishermen on here.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hi Phillip, Just got myself re-registered for the "new look" B.O.C. Have you been catchin' any cats the last few days? I havn't been out since Thurs. night last week, caught 2 Flatheads 28 1/2" and 28"

4. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    havent been out since sat but i got 4 flats and 4 channels. since i have started using shad i have been crushin!

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Phillip - Where are you getting the shad? How large are the shad your using? Are you getting more action on the shad than on Bluegills? I catch them Mooneyes on occasion up in pool #7 where I fish, do you think they would be good bait? They seem like they are kinda fragile but I think they are a member of the shad family, some of them get up around 15" that I have caught.
    It looks like a lot of our Pa. buddies havn't signed back up yet for the new B.O.C. Hopefully they will get back on here soon. I enjoy reading how everyone is doing on the local waters!

Josh - If you read this I need help again posting my member photo. I tried last night. I had it shrunk down to the right size but when I tried to download it's telling me it's not the right format.

6. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I am getting them with a cast net at lock 2, they are 3-5", i was doing decent on the bluegills for a while but then i started using wipers. there are so many wipers where i fish, u can catch them on a bare hook without foul hooking them. They make an excellent flathead bait. i use the shad more so for channels, but that doesnt mean i wont get flats on them. i cut the shad in half and hook both halfs. I have never heard of mooneyes but if they are a member of the shad family im sure they will make excellent bait. the only thing about shad is they are soft and impossible to keep alive. AIM me if u wanna talk catfish or send me a PM if u wanna go fishing

7. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    aug 25 4pm-11pm
    lock 2 sharpsburgh
    cut shad
    8 channels (5 being in the 10#range!)
    0 flatheads :sad:
    1 massive sheephead (about 15#s!)
    1 billion wipers!!!! :p (if not a billion, pretty damn close to it)

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wow Phillip! Your really kickin' butt down there at lock 2! I would like to join you sometime but it's really tough for me to plan things in advance between work, 4 teenage daughters and the wife. I usually get out on the weekend and take which ever of my female army who wants to go and head out on pool #7 on our pontoon. One of these days though I would like to try lock #2. How big are the wipers? Are you fishing from shore or boat? How close to the dam are you fishing? I hope one of us B.O.C. members can break the Flathead record. I like your motto about fishing for the record 3 - 4 times a week! Excellent attitude to have!

Hey, I finally figured out how to post my member photo! I tried a different picture and it worked with no problem. The other photo I was tryin' to use would not work?

9. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    just got back from the dominican republic and i cant wait to get into some catfights. Im gonna head down tommorow afternoon and go for some Bass........
    white bass that is, for bait. If any one ever wants to join me gimme a buzz.

10. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    well when i said i cant wait i ment it! i ended up going tonight from 7pm till 9pm
    the current was Really strong and I kept getting snags. All i got were 3 sheepshead and lost a few other fish due to all the snags. better luck tommorrow morning.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fishing report - Thursday Sept. 1, 2005 - Allegheny River Pool #7. River came up from the recent rain and has a little color to it now. The wife and I started out fishing nightcrawlers and minnows we seined from the creek by our house. Caught a 9 1/2" Crappie, 2 Drum, 2 Whitebass & 1 Bluegill. I then used the 2 Whitebass and the Bluegill for bait on the big cat rods and caught 3 Flatheads in 30 mins. measuring 29", 22 1/2" & 21". I should have kept the Crappie for bait also but I didn't. We also caught a 15" Channel Cat right as we were leaving. Good evening of fishing considering we only fished from 6:45 PM till 8:30 PM

12. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    SAT SEPT 3 2005
    LOCK 2 SHARPSBURGH
    7AM-2PM
    the water was fast and cool
    2-4" shad on a slip rig
    6 sheepshead all in the 10# area (due to the cooler water temps)
    1 flathead about 8#
    7 channel cats from 5-10# area
    1 bluegill on a small jig
    7 snaggle fish :cursing:

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fishing Report - Sat. Sept. 3, 2005. Allegheny River Pool #7. I decided to wait till almost dark to go out because of the holiday weekend boat traffic. My 14 and 12 year old daughters came along. Dropped anchor at 8:30 PM and landed first Flathead at 8:47 PM. Fished till 2 AM took a 3 hour nap and fished from 5 AM till 9 AM. We caught 6 Flatheads - 32 1/2", 25", 24 1/2", 23 1/2", 23" and 20". 3 Channel Cats - 21 1/2", 21" and 20". All 9 Cats were caught on live Bluegills. The Flatheads were all caught at night and the Channels were all caught in the morning. Lost a couple others and missed quite a few. I pulled a small Channel to the surface that had the Bluegill in his mouth but not the hook and he wouldn't let go till I almost netted him and after he spit it out he hit again. I also witnessed 2 other Channels follow the Bluegill to the surface after I missed the strike and I was reeling quickly. The fish were hitting agressively. All fish were caught, photographed and released. Would have made a heck of a nice stringer!

14. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Sept 5 2005
    Lock 2 sharpburgh
    3pm-8pm
    cut shad and white bass
    4 channels (smallest was a 3#, biggest was 12#)
    1 sheepshead (11#)
    1 flathead caught on a whole dead shad( 24#!)

15. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    we should change the name of this thread to Bigpapa15206 and PennsylvaniaCatchaser exchange fishing reports. Come on, Where are all my allegheny catfisherman?

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Bigpapa - I was just thinkin' the same thing! Where did everyone go? Well I enjoy reading your fish reports, please keep them coming! I will continue to post my activity. I wish I could get out more but..... hopefully on Saturday!

17. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    im goin today and tommorow so. When you goin on sat? I would love to fish with a brother!

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    bigpapa - I'm hopin' to get out this evening but it's not certain. It's my wedding anniversary weekend so i have to take care of the wife - dinner, movie or whatever. If we get back at a decent time I hope to head to the river but it's not certain. Would you be interested in going next Sat. evening?

19. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Big Papa! I live about 14minutes away from the dam we should hook up!

20. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    hey well if it isnt another pa catfisherman! ill be damned i knew we werent the only two catfisherman on the whole allegheny! Just send me a pm! im goin down today at 230 if you wanna hook up.

catchaser, i know how that whole situation goes and i would be lucky if i had any say so the whole weekend, lol!