Allatoona Lake!!! =p

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catnewb101, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    OK Lake Alatoona may be one of the next spots i take a little fishing trip to, speaking of which i only live about ten-twenty miles from it, anyways, my dipwad of a science teacher told me Alatoona was a trash heap, and i havent seen much about that lake here so im gonna find out now. Has anyone fished there at all and anyone know of any good spots? I heard Lake Lanier and Lake Alatoona were great fall and winter spots for cats. Of course i dont really have any catfish bait...anyone got any suggestions?

P.S: Anyone know the depths and physical features of Alatoona, i tried to look up some info but i didnt get crapola.

2. Michael Snow GA.

Michael Snow GA. New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My son and I fish the lake all the time. Our biggest this year bank fishing is 6 lbs. 10 oz. We fish under the Little River bridge. Son caught a 5 1/2 pound flathead right there. The fishing is best EARLY morning and after dark. Fields Landing (off Hwy 20 near Canton) is great new area for us. Only drawback is the park closes at 10:00 pm. If you have a boat then put in at Knox Bridge ( Hwy 20 near Canton ) and go up the Etowah river. We hoofed into the upper end once. Seemed like a uphill walk both ways to me.. :lol: We generally fish Monday thru Wed at least a couple of times. Sometimes all nighters just listening to the owls and wishing that turtle would go away.

3. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    what kind of bait was your son using when he caught that flathead and have you yourself caught any flatheads under the little river bridge?

4. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    HEY YOU LIVE IN COBB COUNTY...yet so do i...i see a connection..lol just playin with ya!!!!!!! maybe we can fish sometime later.....well...i tried EVERYTHING i had but then lost it because we didnt have the best of knots cause we havent touched in a long while....but we didnt get anything under the green bridge near the marina services area....we rented a pontoon boat but no luck....darn.....there was a dam which looked intresting....of course the lake is at an extrememly low level right now due to the lack of rain and the heat evaporation. thought id never say that word again...lol

5. Michael Snow GA.

Michael Snow GA. New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Son was using a slip bobber rig, and using a 4/0 hook with a chunk of sunfish cutbait. We have been using cast net lately and catching shad. Seem to work much better. Still catch 90% blue or channel cats.. Gar's have been pesky lately. Require hooking up with steel leaders if you don't want to loose your setup.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Michael

Nice to see ya get a Flat there, congrats.

:waaaht:

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    features of Allattoona... heh heh. I do not mean to sound pessemistic but there arent really many at all. Its called "the dead sea" and rightfully so. There are fish there, and lots, but the lake is practically featureless. I've lived in the area a long time, and when Core of Engineers made this lake to hold stormwater/ to meet hydro power demands, they basically bulldozed it. Ive caught a few nice cats near the damn during the summer, in about 15-18 ft of water using shad. Catch a lot of hybrids this way also. And also when the weather is warm I hit the mouth of Sugar creek and the mouth of Clear creek, both places hold some *decent* cats, but your still more inclined to catch hybrids. Just a personnel notice but live bait also seems to work better here than stinks, gels, doughs, etc. Just a downlined live shad seems to get'r done. But more than anything like I said not to be a party pooper but my biggest advice for Allattoona is drive to Lanier lol. But Acworth across the spillway is a different story... :)

8. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    yeah alatoona was bulldozed as u may tell because the water level is so low so u can see where they tore some down.....yeah lake lanier is a good lake cause i use to live there but alatoona is more close.....sugar creek huh? hmm..might need to check that out

9. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I live near victoria landing, about three minutes from both little river bridge and the marina, including a private cove in my subdivision. I have fished about 5 times aroudn these areas and by the acworth lake dam using perch, nightcrawlers, liver and dough, and the only cat I have been able to catch is about a 10 inch yellow catfish. ANY help in this matter would be appreciated, I dont have a boat, hope to get one in a while, but would like to catch some fish at all while i live so dang close to the water. I came from california and would love some info on how to catch some gar as well. I would appreciate any help so that I might still want to fish this lake.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Right now I got one word for ya HYBRIDS!!! Ive seen some mega reports lately from there and a couple amzing videos of acres of hybrids and true strain stripers just blowing up the surface as far as the eye can see:crazy:

11. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    if anyone is planning a trip on allatoona and would like a tag-a-long, I dont talk too much and like to fish all day. I'll even bring my own food and bait. hehe.

12. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i fished alatoona about 3 years back when i was remodeling all the walmarts in that area, and some river that went under the highways inbetween woodstock and canton i think, i had the worst luck, didn't catch a thing, and their seemed to be absolutley no locals to talk to, thought that was kinda weird, i however did find one little resovouir near tucker wich we remolded it's walmart as well, i remember close to the six flags exit, it was full of only carp fishermen, nobody seemed to know anything about catfish, haha so i just gave up trying, what's the deal?

13. Carplips

Carplips New Member

State:
    Dallas,Georgia
    I live about 20 minutes from Allatoona and don't target catfish. I can't remember catching one on accident as I use live bait 85% of the time. The people that have mentioned catfishing on the lake fish anywhere above Knox bridge(Highway 20), upper portions of Little river, and around Allatoona Landing in front of the rip rap. I have fished those places with no luck:angry:. I go to the Coosa river for cats.