Allatoona Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jack Herber, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I know it's not terribly exciting but I caught a 3 to 4 pound flattie on Allatoona Saturday morning. I was close to the boat launch on the Little River (Bells Ferry). Other than last years lake record being caught, you just never hear of flatties on Allatoona. This gives me hope that there is a breeding population there. Oh yeah, he was released.

2. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anytime I catch a fish is an exciting time, and if it's your first flattie from Toona, it should just add to it. I know they are now in Lanier, so I'm going to make it a goal to catch one outta there this year.

3. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I actually caught a 13 lb flattie in Allatoona about 6 or 7 years ago. Released him. I always wondered about last years record and maybe it was just a fluke. This was a new fish though and that's what gives me hope for the flathead population.

4. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ihave been told there is a decent flathead population above allatoona in the river also, would like to find out.

5. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I am actively seeking some cats of any kind on the TOONA, caught two last night on a sandbar up by sweetwater, but then lost the trail, hit 4 more spots with nothing. any honey holes I shoutld try jack?:big_smile: do you fish up the litte river much?

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Jack, I think thats great news gives me hope of a growing fisheries, im starting to look for them on Carters as well I will keep you guys informed if I do any good..
    Puddle

7. boohoo222

boohoo222 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey puddle jumper, we gonna get one like in your avitar???

8. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thats what im hopeing for,, That size will definently make the record book on Lanier if we can get one in the boat, I think that will put us in the money as well..:wink:
    Puddle

9. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You catch one like that on Lanier then yall deserve all the money:big_smile: When yall fishing, let us know how ya do.

10. boohoo222

boohoo222 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i might need to bring a lip gaff:0a23:

11. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive got a good set of Boga grippers, we are covered...:wink:
    Puddle

12. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Went out this morning on allatoona on the etowah arm and caught my first flathead. just over 4 lbs. managed to boat 7 channels as well some up to 5 lbs.

Attached Files:

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    looks like you're on to them bradley........good job

14. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    great color

15. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    nice fish!

16. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Brad
    How was the lake yesterday? I was out this weekend and Saturday I launched at Knox Bridge and went down river to the lake and fished in the bay at Fields Landing. The river and the whole flat in front of Fields Landing was LOADED with floating TREES. These aren't limbs or stumps. These are whole damn trees floating out there. We need a good wind storm to blow the debris back on shore. Were you up the river past Knox Bridge? Frankly, I'm scared to go that way because of all the "stuff" floating down river.

17. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    One more thing. I've been using live bream, cut bream, night crawlers and shrimp and I can't hook up. What's the magic bait?

18. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Congrats on the Flathead Bradley!

19. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I've been fishing on the flat off of the mouth of sweetwater creek, and the reef just south of there as well. There is a small bit of debris, but there isnt much current to move it around as far into the lake that I am fishing. I want to take a trip up the river, but I wont fish up past the bridge until I do so in the daytime, and i'll give it a little time for everything to wash down.
    As for bait.....
    I have been going out a few nights a week at victoria landing with a light and catching threadfin shad and some shiners with a cast net, and then freezing them and fishing them cut in half. Last night I caught some more and a couple of small bream which i'll try to fish live tonight along with the shad.

20. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    That reef (marked by one of those poles) is actually the edge of the river bed. That is where I caught that 13 lb flat a few years back.