Allatoona, Cats

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by puddle jumper, Mar 28, 2008.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Im new on the site so let me start out with Hi...
    Was wondering :confused2: if anyone catches cats on Allatoona ,I have fished that lake a few times and come away with a skunk most all of them, for any species,,,So much for the Dead sea,, Anyway I thought I would ask the exsperts and see what they said, as a side note I fish the north Ga rivers and do rather well , But spend most of my time up on the Tn River trying to chase blue cats ,,

Thanks a lot...
    Puddle...:big_smile:

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    When I lived in Acworth Ga I fished Allatoona on a regular basis. Always heard it called the "dead sea", Almost always caught fish there. Crappie, Bream, largemouth and spotted Bass, Stripers and Hybrids, Channel cats and Gars are all common in the lake and it wasn't hard to catch lots of them . Allatoona, like most bodies of water, needs to be "learned" in order to find the fish. Study a topo map and charts to find the humps and drop-offs. Fish the floating docks and the tires around the marinas. Its well worth the effort...

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Welcome to the BOC. I haven't had to much luck at Alatoona either. We have a little luck under the Little river bridge off Bells Ferry at night. To the east of the bridge there is a rock cliff with underwater drops and ledges. That runs about a hundread yards or so to a point that is full of jagged rocks and debris. Pretty good fishing along there. I haven't gone to much further north of that. Good luck and don't catch them all.:wink:

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hi John, welcome to the BOC. I have never had luck for catfish in Allatoona. I have had great success for stripers and hybrids though. I now do the same as you. In fact, I almost exclusively fish up north on the TN now days. There are some flatheads in the Hooch down by Franklin and the upper parts of West Point. Some other members do well at Oconee/Sinclair. Good Luck!

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    First of all, welcome to the BOC! There are flatheads and channels in Allatoona, however, The ones I caught were very few and generally very small. Like you and Marc, the TN River is the place to be as far as I'm concerned. It's just not worth the effort to catfish Allatoona when I can go other places and catch more and bigger fish and deal with less boat traffic.

6. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    for catfishing i like to fish rivers . will be on the ocmulge soon if there is enough water to float a boat .

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Southeastern Kentucky

8. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    the flat head or as some call the opalosa is the best large cat fish to eat . the somall cahnnel is good but when they git large they are tuff . the blues are also . planning on putting out some lines to catch some this year .

9. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I apreciat the replies,
    I love fishing on the Tn, but it gets costly im trying to find cats a little closer to Calhoun, for a ocasional trip,,, I like the coosa but I can be on the Tn river in the same time it takes me to get to the other side of Rome...as for the Coosawattee at 225,I do pretty good but only small channels 1-1 1/2 LB fish..

Thanks ,,,

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like we're practically neighbors. I fish the Oostanaula a lot, but miles downstream from Calhoun, not close to 225. It's about time for the striper action to heat up around here.

11. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Bumper,,,
    Ive got a buddy thats got a jet drive War Eagle that chaises the striper hard around there up to the Carters dam" Coosawattie", when he start getting on them ill shoot you a PM...
    Also Ive got some buddys up around the Chatt. area, im going to try to make the gathering up there" got to try some of cheezes cooking" if I can get time off work, maybe ill see you up there...

12. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    FOR CATS WE USUALLY PUT IN AT KNOX BRIDGE AND GO UPRIVER TO SHOAL CREEK. FISH AROUND THERE AND UP THE CREEK AS FAR AS YOU CAN GET. SOME PRETTY NICE HOLES IN THE CREEK. WHITE BASS RUNS CAN BE REAL GOOD WAY UP THE LITTLE RIVER. BREAM FISHING IS ALSO GOOD.

13. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I FISH ALLATOONA AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK DURING THE SPRING AND SUMMER,I ALMOST ALWAYS CATCH A FEW.NIGHT CRAWLERS AND CHICKEN LIVER ARE YOUR BEST BET BUT DONT LOOK FOR ANYTHING OF GREAT SIZE.NITE-TIME AT STAMP CREEK OFF GA.20 IS A REAL GOOD SPOT,WERE THE CREEK COMES INTO THE LAKE.ALSO KNOX BRIDGE IS GOOD PLACE TO WET YOUR HOOK,YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY AND TIE INTO SOME WHITE-BASS IF YOU CAN GET UP TO SHOAL CREEK.I HAVE HAD MY BEST LUCK ON THIS END OF THE LAKE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

14. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks Mark,
    I was up around little river earlyer this week chacing crappie and did real well, might have to start fishing up on the river side of the lake more often..

Puddle...:wink:

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome aboard good to have you here

16. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I WENT FISHING THIS EVENING,NOT ALOT OF LUCK BUT I DID CATCH ME SOME SUPPER.TWO LITTLE CATS AND A SMALL BASS.I WAS USING MY ALL TIME FAORITE BAIT (NIGHT-CRAWLERS).I FISHED UP NEAR THE DAM AT ALLATOONA.I NEVER HAVE ALOT OFLUCK THERE EXCEPT FOR CRAPPIE,I DONT LIKE TO EAT THOSE.IM GOING TO TRY TO GET UP TO KNOX BRIDGE TOMORROW NITE IF THE WEATHER ISNT REAL BAD.IF RAINS REALLY HARD I WILL TIE UP UNDER THE BRIDGE,MY WIFE HAS BEEN TRYING TO TALK ME OUT OF IT BUT IT AINT HAPPENING.ILL LET YOU KNOW IF I DO ANY GOOD.

17. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    pawpaw how d you do? let me know if you need some company. i m trying to get to knox th or fri. good luck

18. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I WENT TO KNOX THIS PAST SAT. NITE,I CAUGHT SEVERAL WHITE BASS USEING DEEP DIVING BOMBER LURES.I WAS FISHING OFF THE BANK BUT I HAD A GREAT TIME.ALL I HAVE IS A 14FT. ALL.JOHN BOAT WITH A 3HP.MOTOR.I DONT TAKE IT OUT IN STORMY WEATHER.